- Title: GERMANY: U.S President Obama visits US military hospital in Ramstein
- Date: 7th June 2009
- Summary: LANDSTUHL, GERMANY (JUNE 05, 2009) (REUTERS-ACCESS ALL) EXTERIOR US- AND GERMAN FLAG FLYING IN THE WIND TOWER AT AIRPORT CAMERA CREWS VARIOUS OF AIR FORCE ONE LANDING PEOPLE LOOKING ON PLANE DOOR OPENING SECURITY GUARD US-PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA STEPPING OFF PLANE VARIOUS OF CONVOY DRIVING OFF PRESS WAITING VARIOUS OF OBAMA STEPPING OUT OF HANGAR PHOTOGRAPHER OBAMA GREETING SOLDIERS AND BOARDING PLANE AFTER WAVING TO CROWDS VARIOUS OF AIR FORCE ONE TAKING OFF
- Embargoed: 22nd June 2009 13:00
- Location: Germany
- Country: Germany
- Topics: International Relations,Defence / Military
- Reuters ID: LVAC5KSS4QXMWRQIXS8S8F1OCIAU
- Story Text: US-President Barack Obama visited US soldiers from Iraq and Afghanistan at the Landstuhl military hospital in Germany on Friday (June 05).
The visit was the end of a quick visit to Germany before Obama moved on to France to take part in the D-Day celebrations. Obama met up with German chancellor Angela Merkel in Dresden and visited former Nazi concentration camp Buchenwald near Weimar with her.
Obama's great uncle helped liberate a satellite camp of Buchenwald which was created by the Nazis. An estimated 56,000 people were killed in Buchenwald.
Earlier, Obama expressed hope of making serious progress this year in Middle East peacemaking and said Israelis and Palestinians had to "get serious" about making tough compromises.
Obama repeated his call for Israel to halt settlement expansion in the West Bank, but he also pushed the Palestinians to improve security and for Arab states to match any Israeli steps toward peace with confidence-building gestures.
Obama was in Germany on the third stop of his trip, which has already taken him to Saudi Arabia and Egypt. Saturday, he will attend commemorations in France marking the 65th anniversary of the World War Two D-Day landings.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None