- Title: The road to Brexit - a timeline of events as May prepares to trigger Article 50
- Date: 24th March 2017
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (FILE - DECEMBER 8, 2016) (REUTERS) HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT UNION JACK ON TOP OF SPIRE ON HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT CLOSE OF UNION JACK BIG BEN SEEN NEAR TRAFFIC LIGHT TURNING RED TRAFFIC LIGHTS TURNING GREEN, AMBER, RED LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (FILE - NOVEMBER 29, 2016) (REUTERS) HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT ON BANKS OF RIVER THAMES HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT IN SHADOW FROM SUN SUN GLINTING ON RIVER THAMES BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (FILE - 2016) (REUTERS) ROW OF EU FLAGS AND ONE UNION JACK FLAG AT END OUTSIDE THE EU COMMISSION BUILDING EU FLAG / UNION JACK FLAG EU STARS UNION JACK FLAG BEING HOISTED DOWN
- Embargoed: 7th April 2017 17:56
- Keywords: Brexit Article 50 European Union EU Britain UK Theresa May
- Location: LONDON AND PETERBOROUGH AND MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UK / BRUSSELS, BELGIUM / PARIS, FRANCE / UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION
- City: LONDON AND PETERBOROUGH AND MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UK / BRUSSELS, BELGIUM / PARIS, FRANCE / UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00K69CO4EF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: On Wednesday (March 29) British Prime Minister Theresa May will trigger Article 50, which will formally kickstart the process of Britain leaving the European Union.
It comes nine months after 2016's June 23 referendum in which Britons voted to leave 52 percent to 48 percent.
The result divided the country, with remain voters feeling their wishes and concerns are being ignored.
The Supreme Court ruled earlier this year that parliament must approve May triggering Article 50. This angered the Leave camp, which believed pro-Europe campaigners were trying to subvert the result of the referendum.
Last weekend, leaders of the remaining 27 states met without departing Britain for a summit that they hope could relaunch the Union in the city where it was founded 60 years earlier. The Treaty of Rome, creating the European Economic Community (EEC) of France, Germany, Italy and the Benelux, was signed on March 25, 1957.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None