- Title: Thousands gather to bury Niger student killed in protest
- Date: 17th April 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF CAR THAT HAS TOPPLED OVER WITH BROKEN WINDSHIELDS SMOKE RISING / POLICE WALKING VARIOUS OF STUDENTS OUTSIDE UNIVERSITY BUILDING / SMOKE COMING OUT OF UNIVERSITY BUILDING
- Embargoed: 1st May 2017 18:42
- Keywords: Niger protests student death funeral Niamey
- Location: NIAMEY, NIGER
- City: NIAMEY, NIGER
- Country: Niger
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA0056CSF8EF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of students marched in Niger's capital Niamey on Monday (April 17) for the funeral of a student who died during a protest demanding the government return their subsidies and improve conditions.
The demonstration last Monday (April 10) turned violent with police chasing students, about 80 of whom were injured in clashes. Police used tear gas to disperse the crowd and students threw stones. Later that day authorities closed the campus leaving thousands homeless.
Later in the week a video surfaced on social media of security forces beating a student which appeared to have been filmed and disseminated by the police themselves. Three policemen were arrested for the video, according to a statement read on national television last week.
The campus was re-opened after the President Mahamaddou Issoufou held talks with the students' union representative on Saturday (April 15) and opened a dialogue between the union representatives and the prime minister the next day. But on Monday the students walked out of the talks and called for more protests.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None