- Title: Five dead in Portugal supermarket plane crash
- Date: 17th April 2017
- Summary: TIRES, PORTUGAL (APRIL 17, 2017) (REUTERS) EMERGENCY SERVICES AND LIDL SUPERMARKET CAR PARK AND SMOKE BILLOWING BEHIND SUPERMARKET VARIOUS OF EMERGENCY SERVICES AT SCENE SIGN READING "LIDL" AND SMOKE BILLOWING IN THE BACKGROUND SMOKE COMING OUT OF WRECKAGE WRECKAGE NEXT TO HOUSES POLICE AND FIRE BRIGADE (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) LISBON CIVIL PROTECTION COMMANDER, ANDRE FERNANDES, SAYING: "We can confirm a fifth victim, there are five mortal victims, four from the airplane and one victim that was in the car park." FERNANDES BEING INTERVIEWED (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) LISBON CIVIL PROTECTION COMMANDER, ANDRE FERNANDES, SAYING: "The information that we have received from Tires airport is that the victims of the airplane were foreigners, three French and one Swiss." EMERGENCY SERVICES GATHERED AFTER WORKING ON SITE PEOPLE LOOKING ON BEHIND POLICE LINE (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) CRASH WITNESS, VITOR FERREIRA, SAYING: "It was around five minutes to midday when I saw an airplane that appeared to be performing aerobatics but it was very close to the houses and I thought it was a bit weird. Suddenly I lost sight of it for just about 4 or 5 seconds and then it exploded, it looked like the missiles in Iraq and Syria." PORTUGAL PRESIDENT MARCELO REBELO DE SOUSA AT SITE AMBULANCE
- Embargoed: 1st May 2017 15:07
- Keywords: plane crash supermarket Tires Portugal accident
- Location: TIRES, PORTUGAL
- City: TIRES, PORTUGAL
- Country: Portugal
- Topics: Air Accidents,Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA0016CSESLJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A small airplane crashed near a supermarket in a residential area outside Lisbon on Monday (April 17), killing five people, rescue workers said.
The private airplane crashed after taking off from the small Tires airport, which is located near the resort town of Cascais about 20 km (12.5 miles) west of Lisbon and used mainly by private aircraft.
Andre Fernandes, a spokesman for the local emergency services, said the plane was headed for Marseilles in France. Everyone on board the plane, three French and one Swiss, died.
Another person on the ground died when the plane crashed into a truck, setting off a fire, Fernandes said. The cause of the accident was not yet known.
President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa went to the site of the crash. There were more than 50 rescue workers at the site. An eye witness said he saw the plane explode. The cause of the accident is being investigated.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None