- Title: Vietnamese, Sri Lankan prime ministers meet in Hanoi to bolster ties
- Date: 17th April 2017
- Summary: WELCOME CEREMONY BEGINNING VIETNAMESE PRIME MINISTER NGUYEN XUAN PHUC AND WICKREMESINGHE WALKING ONTO PODIUM VARIOUS OF PHUC AND WICKREMESINGHE LISTENING TO SRI LANKAN NATIONAL ANTHEM CEREMONY IN PROGRESS MARCHING BAND PLAYING PHUC AND WICKREMESINGHE WALKING OFF PODIUM VARIOUS OF PHUC AND WICKREMESINGHE INSPECTING HONOUR GUARDS HONOUR GUARDS STANDING PHUC AND WICKREMESINGHE INSPECTING HONOUR GUARDS CEREMONY IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 1st May 2017 07:36
- Keywords: Vietnam Sri Lanka Ranil Wickremesinghe Nguyen Xuan Phuc welcome ceremony diplomacy Hanoi
- Location: HANOI, VIETNAM
- City: HANOI, VIETNAM
- Country: Vietnam
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026CSE2IT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Sri Lanka's Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe received a state welcoming ceremony in Hanoi on Monday (April 17) before sitting down for talks with his Vietnamese counterpart Nguyen Xuan Phuc, kicking off a three-day official visit aimed at bolstering ties.
Wickremesinghe said the visit hoped to "build up a trade of one billion U.S. dollars" between the two countries, while offering an opportunity to exchange views and look for areas for cooperation.
Vietnam and Sri Lanka established diplomatic ties in 1970. Trade between the two countries reached $192 million in 2015 and $325.6 million in 2016, according to Vietnam's Chamber of Commerce.
During Wickremesinghe's visit, he is expected to meet President Tran Dai Quang and General Secretary of the Communist party Nguyen Phu Trong, as well as preside over a signing of several Memorandum of Understandings (MOUs) in education and agriculture. He is also scheduled to attend various investment forums and visit Vietnam's late revolutionary leader Ho Chi Minh's mausoleum before departing on Wednesday (April 19).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.