- Title: Swizterland's Leuthard and Argentina's Macri hail bilateral economic relationship
- Date: 18th April 2017
- Summary: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (APRIL 18, 2017) (REUTERS) LEUTHARD AND FOREIGN MINISTER SUSANA MALCORRA STANDING TOGETHER DURING HOMAGE IN PLAZA SAN MARTIN LEUTHARD DURING EVENT SOLDIER STANDING AT EVENT
- Embargoed: 2nd May 2017 20:45
- Keywords: Macri Switzerland Leuthard
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- City: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0046CXFOTF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART AUDIO AS INCOMING
Swiss President Doris Leuthard was in Buenos Aires on Tuesday (April 18) for talks with President Mauricio Macri to boost economic and trade ties in a show of support for the Argentine leader's free market agenda.
On the first day of her official trip to the Argentine capital, Leuthard was joined by Foreign Minister Susana Malcorra for a military ceremony to honour independence hero Jose de San Martin.
Leuthard's visit under Macri's term in office. The conservative leader took office after more than a decade of populist rule left Argentina with rampant inflation, dwindling central bank reserves and a wide fiscal deficit.
Macri has vowed to get the country's economic fundamentals back on track to boost foreign investment in Argentina.
Speaking from the Casa Rosada, President Leuthard said Argentina was on the right track.
Accompanying the Swiss leader are CEOs from major energy, pharmaceutical and construction firms looking to the South American nation for possible investment opportunities.
Macri hailed growing ties between Switzerland and Argentina.
According to official statistics, more than 13,000 people in Argentina are employed by Swiss firms. The European nation is also a major importer of Argentine goods such as agricultural products and precious metals.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.