- Title: Pots and pans protesters greet France's Fillon in Calais
- Date: 18th April 2017
- Summary: CALAIS, FRANCE (APRIL 18, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FRENCH PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE, FRANCOIS FILLON, WALKING WITH CALAIS MAYOR, NATACHA BOUCHART VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS BANGING POTS AND PANS, CHANTING (French): "Fillon in prison!" IN FRONT OF RIOT POLICE POLICE / PROTESTERS CHANTING PROTESTERS CHANTING SIGN READING (French): "Fillon's changing power programme: Presents for the rich with money from the people." PROTESTER'S SIGN PROTESTERS BANGING POTS AND PANS VARIOUS OF FILLON WALKING WITH BOUCHART (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE, FRANCOIS FILLON, SAYING: "I came to Calais on the invitation of the mayor, Natacha Bouchart, to tell her firstly that if I am elected as president of the Republic we will take all measures to reinforce the security of this area, to increase the law enforcement which will stop migrants from returning to Calais, to bring support to the local community and businesses which are suffering from a situation that has lasted for too long. But above all I've come to say that I will bring a tough fight against illegal immigration. There are laws, the laws must be respected." PHOTOGRAPHERS / FILLON AND CROWD OF PEOPLE FILLON (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE, FRANCOIS FILLON, SAYING: "I want to take this occasion to congratulate the police, the law enforcement, the intelligence services which led to the arrest of two terrorists. Regarding me, this changes nothing in the organisation of my campaign, and it shouldn't focus the campaign's debate on questions of security, particularly my campaign." VARIOUS OF FILLON IN MEETING (SOUNDBITE) (French) MANAGER OF CALAIS TRUCKING COMPANY, FRANCOIS POLLEY, SAYING: "What I'm expecting from this meeting is a commitment from the candidate, if he's elected tomorrow, that there won't be any more migrant camps in Calais on a 250 kilometre (155 mile) radius, so we don't have to go through what happened in 2016 again, which was guerilla scenes, attacks on trucks, blocking motorways, fires on the motorways to stop trucks. Those are the questions I want to put forward." CANON / SECURITY (SOUNDBITE) (French) CALAIS SHOPKEEPER, YANNICK, SAYING: "I think the flow of migrants into Calais, which doesn't exist anymore but might come back, doesn't influence my choice of who I'm voting for in the presidential elections. It's a much deeper problem that is not linked to a president but rather the programme that they'd implement, to eradicate this problem that is polluting the future of Calais." AREA WHERE MIGRANT CAMP KNOWN AS THE "JUNGLE" USED TO BE
- Embargoed: 2nd May 2017 18:32
- Keywords: Fillon elections pans pots protest Calais Jungle migrant camp
- Location: CALAIS, FRANCE
- City: CALAIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0016CXGBPJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Conservative presidential candidate Francois Fillon's visit to Calais was met by protesters banging pots and pans on Tuesday (April 18).
Fillon said that he wanted to fight illegal immigration, and also thanked security forces for arresting two Frenchmen on suspicion of planning an imminent attack ahead of the first round of the presidential election on Sunday.
The sprawling 'Jungle' shanty town outside the port of Calais, which was home to migrants on the French coast seeking to reach Britain, was shut down last October.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None