- Title: More than 400 migrants rescued at sea off Libya
- Date: 29th March 2017
- Summary: AT SEA (MARCH 29, 2017) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) LIFEGUARDS ON THE "GOLFO AZZURRO" RESCUE VESSEL LOOKING AT RADAR SCREENS LIFEGUARDS ON DECK OF SHIP LOOKING FOR MIGRANTS BOAT WOODEN BOAT WITH MIGRANTS IN THE DISTANCE, RESCUE DINGHY NEARBY, AS SEEN FROM ANOTHER RESCUE DINGHY APPROACHING LIFEGUARD ON RESCUE DINGHY SHOUTING TO THE MIGRANTS AS DINGHY APPROACHES MIGRANTS GETTING READY TO JUMP FROM WOODEN BOAT TO DINGHY AT SEA (MARCH 29, 2017) (REUTERS) LIFEGUARDS TRANSFERRING MIGRANTS FROM WOODEN BOAT TO DINGHY DINGHY TAKING MIGRANTS TOWARDS THE GOLFO AZZURRO VARIOUS OF THE GOLFO AZZURRO WITH MIGRANTS ON BOARD AS SEEN FROM THE DINGHY MIGRANTS ON DECK OF SHIP (SOUNDBITE) (English) PROACTIVA OPEN ARMS LIFEGUARD ANABEL MONTES, SAYING: "We started the rescue at four o'clock in the morning. When we arrived we saw a 17 metres wooden boat completely full of migrants. The sea was rough so the operation took almost five hours, but now more than 400 migrants are safe on board the Golfo Azzurro." MIGRANTS CRAMMED ONTO THE FLOOR OF THE DECK OF THE AZZURRO, ONE MIGRANT VOMITING MIGRANT WITH HIS HEAD BENT, TWO OTHER MIGRANTS VOMITING BEHIND HIM AND NEXT TO HIM
- Embargoed: 12th April 2017 13:16
- Keywords: Libya migrants Mediterranean Italy rescue Africa
- Location: AT SEA
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016A0K8JR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: More than 400 migrants mainly from the African continent were rescued by aid agencies after being found floating in a wooden boat off the coast of Libya on Wednesday (March 29), a Spanish aid organization said.
In the early morning hours the Italian coast guard notified the Spanish aid organization Proactiva Open Arms of a boat full of migrants drifting at sea north of Sabratha.
Proactiva's rescue boat, the 'Golfo Azzurro' and rescue vessels from two other aid organizations headed to the area. The 17 metre wooden craft contained migrants mainly from Morocco, Algeria, Libya, and Gambia, as well as Bangladesh, the aid organization said, and included 16 women and two children. Some of the migrants were suffering from sea sickness. The migrants embraced rescuers and broke out in song once aboard the Golfo Azzurro, a Reuters witness said.
Due to rough seas the evacuation of the wooden boat lasted almost five hours. Rescuers said the migrants will be taken to Sicily.
On March 23 five migrants were pulled dead from the sea off the coast of Libya in another rescue operation by the same organization.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None