- Title: Relatives of Russian metro bombing suspect refuse to believe he was involved
- Date: 18th April 2017
- Summary: JALAL-ABAD, KYRGYZSTAN (APRIL 18, 2017) (REUTERS) ENTRANCE GATES AND MONUMENT ON ROAD LEADING TO JALAL-ABAD MONUMENT VARIOUS OF STREET IN AZIMOV'S NEIGHBOURHOOD GIRL AT ENTRANCE GATES OF AZIMOV FAMILY'S HOUSE HOUSE AND YARD WIFE OF ABROR AZIMOV, ROBIA MADAMINOVA, SITTING WITH CHILDREN VARIOUS OF CHILDREN (SOUNDBITE) (Uzbek) WIFE OF ABROR AZIMOV, ROBIA MADAMINOVA, SAYING: "No, no, my husband could not be involved. He was thinking only about treatment for his daughter. He was saving money to build a house." VARIOUS OF HOUSE AND YARD BROTHER OF ABROR AZIMOV, BILOL AZIMOV, CHECKING HIS MOBILE PHONE
- Embargoed: 2nd May 2017 19:21
- Keywords: Russia St Petersburg metro blast suicide bombing bomb Kyrgyzstan suspect Jalal-Abad
- Location: JALAL-ABAD, KYRGYZSTAN
- City: JALAL-ABAD, KYRGYZSTAN
- Country: Kyrgyzstan
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA0016CXGAX3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Relatives of Abror Azimov, the man Russian investigators say orchestrated a suicide bombing on the St. Petersburg metro, said on Tuesday (April 18) he could not have been involved into the crime.
Speaking in his native town of Jalal-Abad in the Central Asian state of Kyrgyzstan, his mother Vazira Mirzakhmedova said she "will never believe it", claiming that he was "set up".
Russian investigators said that before the April 3 attack in which 14 people were killed and scores injured the suspected suicide bomber, Akbarzhon Jalilov, had spoken by telephone with Abror Azimov, who the investigators said was helping mastermind the attack from a Moscow suburb.
At a preliminary court hearing in Moscow on Tuesday Azimov said he had participated in the preparation of the attack but only indirectly. He told a court he was an unwitting accomplice in the attack.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None