- Title: Hundreds of Palestinian prisoners on hunger strike in Israeli prisons
- Date: 18th April 2017
- Summary: GILBOA PRISON, ISRAEL (FILE) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) ENTRANCE TO GILBOA PRISON GUARDS OPENING DOOR VARIOUS OF PRISONERS IN PRISON YARD AND IN CELLS
- Embargoed: 2nd May 2017 15:09
- Keywords: Israel Palestinians prisoners hunger strike
- Location: JERUSALEM/ HEBRON, WEST BANK/ GILBOA PRISON, ISRAEL
- City: JERUSALEM/ HEBRON, WEST BANK/ GILBOA PRISON, ISRAEL
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0066CXE9FR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS MATERIAL THAT WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
The family of a Palestinian man imprisoned in Israel says it was banned from visiting him on Tuesday (April 18) after he joined hundreds of inmates on a hunger strike called for by prominent prisoner Marwan Barghouti, widely seen as a possible future Palestinian president.
Wife of Amer Yaghmour, a Palestinian held in Israeli prison, told Reuters that she was upset after her monthly visit to him in jail was cancelled and that she was worried about his health.
Palestinians termed the open-ended strike a protest against poor conditions and an Israeli policy of detention without trial that has been applied against thousands since the 1980s.
Israel, denying mistreatment of Palestinian prisoners, some serving terms over attacks against Israelis, said the move was politically motivated.
The protest was led by 58-year-old Barghouti, a leader of the mainstream Fatah movement of the Palestine Liberation Organization, serving five life terms after being convicted of murder in the killing of Israelis in a 2000-2005 uprising.
The strike, if sustained, could present a challenge to Israel and raise tensions between the two sides as the 50th anniversary of the Israeli occupation of the West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip approaches in June.
Almost 6,500 Palestinians are being held in 22 Israeli prisons, according to Palestinian officials.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None