- Title: Georgia voting underway as Democrats aim to 'make Trump furious' in race
- Date: 18th April 2017
- Summary: SANDY SPRINGS, GEORGIA, UNITED STATES (APRIL 17, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS JON OSSOFF SIGNS DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATE JON OSSOFF TAKING A SELFIE WITH SUPPORTER
- Embargoed: 2nd May 2017 17:19
- Keywords: politics U.S. Congress democrats Republican Georgia Donald Trump President Trump Jon Ossoff
- Location: SANDY SPRINGS, GEORGIA, UNITED STATES / INTERNET
- City: SANDY SPRINGS, GEORGIA, UNITED STATES / INTERNET
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0026CXFWP3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: For U.S. President Donald Trump, an off-year congressional election on Tuesday in the reliably Republican northern suburbs of Atlanta could spell trouble if a Democratic upstart pulls off a surprise victory.
Jon Ossoff, a 30-year-old political novice, is leading a field of 18 candidates for a U.S. House of Representatives seat that was vacated when Trump named Tom Price as his health secretary.
An Ossoff win would not tip the balance of power in Washington but could weaken the already shaky hold Trump has on his fellow Republicans by encouraging lawmakers to distance themselves from him.
Georgia's 6th District has elected Republicans to the House since the late 1970s, but Trump only carried it by 1 percentage point in the November presidential election.
Ossoff hopes to win an outright majority in Tuesday's vote, a "jungle primary" with all 18 candidates from both parties on the same ballot. If no one reaches 50 percent, the top two vote-getters square off on June 20.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None