- Title: Palestinians and Egyptians protest against Egypt attacks
- Date: 10th April 2017
- Summary: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK (APRIL 10, 2017) (REUTERS) DOZENS OF PEOPLE HOLDING PALESTINIAN AND EGYPTIAN FLAGS DURING A PROTEST AGAINST EGYPT CHURCH ATTACKS WOMAN HOLDING EGYPTIAN FLAG JOINING PROTEST PEOPLE HOLDING SIGN DURING PROTEST, READING (English): "DURING THIS HOLY WEEK, WE DO NOT CELEBRATE DEATH BUT WE CELEBRATE LIFE" MUFTI OF BETHLEHEM, SHEIKH ABDELMAJEED AMARNEH, AND CLERGYMAN HOLDING CANDLES DURING PROTEST MAN HOLDING SIGN DURING PROTEST, READING (Arabic): "TERRORISM HAS NO RELIGION" MORE OF PROTEST (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MUFTI OF BETHLEHEM, SHEIKH ABDELMAJEED AMARNEH, SAYING: "This call for prayers that can be heard from the mosque now is a message, and the protest in front of the church and standing between these clergymen, this is a clear message that we are one nation and that we love Egypt and that we reject any aggression on Egypt and on any Arab country or any country in the world. Terrorism is hated, terrorism is rejected, terrorism does not represent religion, terrorism was made this time to distort the image of religion, the religion that came to support humanity and to build love between people." EGYPTIAN FLAG HELD BY PROTESTER, TOWER OF CHURCH OF NATIVITY IN BACKGROUND AMARNEH AND CLERGYMAN HOLDING CANDLES DURING PROTEST MORE OF PROTEST ORTHODOX ARCHBISHOP, ATALLAH HANNA, DURING PROTEST (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) ORTHODOX ARCHBISHOP, ATALLAH HANNA, SAYING: "We reject violence, we reject hatred, and we hope that this special Palestinian example, the example of national unity and religious brotherhood, we hope that this example spreads to everywhere." VARIOUS OF PROTEST, PROTESTERS HOLDING SIGNS, FLAGS AND CANDLES TORCH LIT DURING PROTEST (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PROTESTER, MAY RAHHAL, SAYING: "We came here today to say that the Palestinian people and the Egyptian people are one people. We came here to say, from the cradle of religion, from the land of Palestine from the city of Jesus, peace be upon him, that we and the Egyptian people are one people and we came here today to say no to terrorism, and no to targeting the religious places, these are holy places for praying." PROTEST IN PROGRESS PROTESTER HOLDING SIGN, READING (Arabic): "KEEP YOUR HANDS AWAY FROM OUR CHURCHES"
- Embargoed: 24th April 2017 18:59
- Keywords: Palestinians Egypt Easter protest violence demonstration flags church
- Location: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- City: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016BTI62V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Palestinians and Christians from the Coptic community who are marking Easter in Bethlehem, participated on Monday (April 10) in a protest in front of the church of Nativity, against the attacks on the Egyptian churches on Palm Sunday.
Protesters voiced anger and concern over the latest attacks on their denomination's churches in Egypt saying that "terrorism was made this time to distort the image of religion".
At least 36 people were killed and more than 100 injured in bomb attacks on two Coptic churches on Palm Sunday, in the latest assault on a religious minority increasingly targeted by Islamist militants.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attacks, which come a week before Coptic Easter and in the same month that Pope Francis is scheduled to visit Egypt.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None