- Title: U.S.A.: FIRST WOMAN DOCTOR AT THE WHITE HOUSE.
- Date: 8th March 1961
- Summary: NO available shotlist Initials TDH/S/ES Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 23rd March 1961 12:00
- Location: WASHINGTON, USA
- Country: USA
- Topics: General,Health,Politics,People
- Reuters ID: LVA8439XZPD536XJ1ATIUXEXH4D9
- Story Text: Dr Janet G. Travell, first woman to be appointed Physician at the White House, was filmed at work at the US Presidential Residence Mar 6-7.
On Mar 6 she was in conference with Dr. Luther B. Terry, Surgeon General of the Public Health Service; Rear Admiral Edward C. Kennedy, Surgeon General of the US Navy; and Captain George G. Burkley, her dispensary in the White House basement, where they examined and ailing White House staff member.
A New York orthopaedic specialist, and married, Dr Travell has been the Kennedy family doctor for some years, and the President describes her as a "genius". An old football injury to the President's back was complicated when his torpedo boat was sunk by a Japanese destroyer during the second world war. Dr Travell helped his recovery after an operation.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None