- Title: PERU: AUTHORITIES ANNOUNCE CAPTURE OF LAST LEADERS OF SHINING PATH ORGANISATION
- Date: 6th July 2003
- Summary: PAN OF JOURNALISTS LOOKING AT THE PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE DETAINED 48 SCU (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MIYASHIRO SAYING: "This is the summary: homicides, 122; subversive attacks, 92; other armed incident such as the destruction of cattle, the fire of agrarian cooperatives, 91."
- Embargoed: 21st July 2003 13:00
- Location: LIMA, PERU
- Country: Peru
- Topics: Crime / Law Enforcement
- Reuters ID: LVA9IHF191C99BRKDZAL7Y6MQ3OC
- Story Text: Peruvian anti-terrorism authorities have announced the capture of one of the Shining Path's last leaders.
Joint security forces of Peru captured one of the last historical leaders of the Shining Path in a jungle area, authorities from the anti-terror police announced on Sunday (July 06).
Florentino Cerron Cardoso was captured on Saturday (July 05) in the Andean city of Huancayo (hwan-KAY-oh) - some 310 kilometres east of Lima.
"The identification and detention of the terrorist Florentino Cerron Cardoso - known as "Marcelo", "Julio", "Carlos" or "Raul", the principle person responsible from the Regional Center of the terrorist organisation Shining Path - was obtained," said General of the National Police Marco Miyashiro (mee-yah-SHERE-oh).
As one of the Shining Path's principle leaders, Cerron is suspected of having participated in 192 murders and 92 subversive attacks Miyashiro explained.
The police commander also showed a video in which Shining Path leader Abimael Guzman is seen dancing with other high-ranking members of the Maoist group - including Cerron.
After several years of relative calm, the Shining Path has shown increased activity after several recent events. Last month, the group kidnapped 71 employees of an Argentine mining firm in the Peruvian jungle and released them two days later.
In March of 2002, the group claimed responsibility for a car bomb that exploded outside of the United States embassy, killing 10 people, just prior to the visit of U.S. President George W. Bush. Recently, the Shining Path has also launched scattered attacks on military forces.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None