- Title: USA: PLO CHAIRMAN YASSER ARAFAT ATTENDS FUND-RAISING DINNER
- Date: 21st October 1995
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK STATE, UNITED STATES (OCTOBER 21, 1995) (RTV (W) - ACCESS ALL) 1. GV/CRANE EXT. OF HOTEL (NIGHT) 0.05 2. SV/VARIOUS OF SECURITY CHECKS/ PEOPLE BEING CHECKED (3 SHOTS) 0.20 3. GV WIDE VIEW OF DINNER 0.22 4. SLV PALESTINE LIBERATION ORGANISATION (PLO) CHAIRMAN YASSER ARAFAT AT TABLE 0.24 5. SV ARAFAT AT PODIUM,WAVES/ GV AUDIENCE APPLAUDS (2 SHOTS) 0.33 6. SLV ARAFAT SAYS "I CANNOT LET THE OLIVE BRANCH FALL FROM MY HANDS"(ENGLISH) 0.56 7. SV AUDIENCE APPLAUD 1.03 6. LV ARAFAT SPEAKING IN ARABIC (2 SHOTS) 1.28 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 5th November 1995 12:00
- Location: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK STATE, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVA6R5646UPVJVTH1ZB9RLMJLXD6
- Story Text: Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO) chairman leader Yassar Arafat, who was in New York on Saturday (October 22) for fiftieth anniversary United Nations (U.N.) celebrations, attended a fund-raising dinner.
The dinner was also attended by more than 1,000 people and raised more than 300,000 United States (U.S.) dollars for hospitals in the West Bank and Gaza.
Arafat told his guests that he would pursue peace in the Middle East and not let "the olive branch fall from my hand".
The dinner was held at the Vista Hotel, which was bombed in 1993. A group of Moslem fundamentalists opposed to U.S. backing for Israel were convicted in that attack.
Arafat had not been invited to New York mayor Rudolph Giuliani's gala dinner given across the street in the World Financial Center's winter garden courtyard. That dinner was attended by more than 60 world leaders on Saturday.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None