- Title: SOMALIA: SOMALIA IN URGENT NEED OF FUNDS TO PREVENT RETURN OF FAMINE
- Date: 21st August 1995
- Summary: MOGADISHU, SOMALIA (AUGUST 21, 1995) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. GV PANS SUBURB ON OUTSKIRTS OF MOGADISHU AND DISPLACED PEOPLES' CAMP (2 SHOTS) 0.35 2. GVS DISPLACED PEOPLES' CAMP (7 SHOTS) 2.08 3. GVS WOMEN COLLECTING WATER FROM WELL IN CAMP (5 SHOTS) 3.11 4. GVS INTERNATIONAL ACTION AGAINST FAMINE (AICF) FEEDING CENTRE, AICF FLAG, WOMAN CARRYING CHILD ENTERING FEEDING CENTRE (4 SHOTS) 4.05 5. MV WOMEN WITH CHILDREN REGISTERING INSIDE ENTRANCE TO FEEDING CENTRE 4.14 6. CU AICF NURSE EXAMINING CHILD 4.23 7. MVS MALNOURISHED CHILD BEING WEIGHED (3 SHOTS) 4.46 8. MVS/CU AICF WORKERS FILLING IN WEIGHT CHARTS (3 SHOTS) 5.07 9. CUS MALNOURISHED CHILD BEING WEIGHED (4 SHOTS) 5.47 10. CU MALNOURISHED CHILD BEING FED MEDICINE (2 SHOTS) 6.18 11. GVS/CUS MALNOURISHED CHILDREN WITH MOTHERS (6 SHOTS) 7.15 12. CUS CHILD WITH SWOLLEN LEGS BEING EXAMINED BY AICF NURSES (3 SHOTS) 7.29 13. CUS CHILDREN (3 SHOTS) 8.10 14. MVS/CU MALNOURISHED CHILD BEING FED BY AICF NURSE (3 SHOTS) 8.39 15. MVS MOTHERS WITH MALNOURISHED CHILDREN (3 SHOTS) 8.58 16. MVS WOMEN WITH CHILDREN WAITING OUTSIDE FEEDING CENTRE (3 SHOTS) 9.18 Initials EXTENDED COVER OF prod NO 8784/95 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 5th September 1995 13:00
- Location: MOGADISHU, SOMALIA
- Country: Somalia
- Reuters ID: LVA9HEHYP6JS6CPNK0GFO3E9XOZ6
- Story Text: Funds are urgently needed in Somalia to prevent the return of widespread starvation such as the famine which killed 200,000 people in the region in 1982, aid agencies said on Monday (August 21).
Since United Nations (U.N.) peacekeepers withdrew earlier this year, feuding between rival militias has continued, threatening the distribution of supplies from the capital, Mogadishu.
Widespread unemployment means many people can no longer afford to buy food and aid workers are seeing signs of the return of severe malnutrition in babies and children.
Aid workers at a feeding centre set up by French aid group, International Action against Hunger, do what they can to feed the children of Mogadishu. Up to a quarter of them are malnourished.
All that remains of the U.N. presence is a ruined building which was its headquarters and some wrecked vehicles. Armed militiamen now patrol the area.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None