- Title: FRANCE: LAUNCH OF 1994 VINTAGE BEAUJOLAIS NOUVEAU
- Date: 17th November 1994
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (NOVEMBER 17, 1994) (RTV -- ACCESS ALL) 1. CU SIGN ON SHOP WINDOW SAYING BEAUJOLAIS NOUVEAU HAS ARRIVED / PEOPLE DRINKING THE NEW WINE OUTSIDE 0.08 2. GV PEOPLE TASTING AND WAITING TO SAMPLE VARIOUS BEAUJOLAIS WINES 0.15 3. CU OF BEAUJOLAIS BOTTLES 0.18 4. GV VARIOUS OF PEOPLE TASTING AND DRINKING BEAUJOLAIS (2 SHOTS) 0.30 5. GV MAN SAYING IT GOES DOWN EASILY/ANOTHER MAN SAYING HE THINKS IT'S QUITE A ROUGH WINE (FRENCH) 0.46 6. GV PEOPLE SAMPLING BEAUJOLAIS 0.54 7. GV BAND PLAYING OUTSIDE SHOP 0.59 8. GV WOMAN SAYING SHE THINKS THE WINE WAS NOT BAD FOR A YOUNG WINE (FRENCH) 1.09 9. GV CASE OF WINE 1.13 10. WS OF SHOP, PEOPLE GATHERED OUTSIDE 1.20 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 2nd December 1994 12:00
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Reuters ID: LVAE3G0F009TU32RWCNXE0X4MVO1
- Story Text: Corks popped across France on Thursday (November 17) as wine lovers from bars and bistros spilled into the streets to sample the 1994 vintage of Beaujolais Nouveau wine.
Each year, French wine producers bottle and then race the Beaujolais Nouveau to thirsty admirers in 192 countries between the mid-September harvest and the third Thursday of November.
Wine fanciers say the new beaujolais's charm stems from a mix of tradition, skill and nature.
In Paris, customers flocked to bistros, eager to try the new vintage. One wine merchant set up a sampling table, and a jazz band played outside on the street to set the mood.
One man said the vintage tasted rougher than previous harvests, more "authentic".
A woman drinker said she found it not bad for a young wine.
Another drinker found the vintage fruity, not too full of tannin - "a thirst-quenching wine".
This year, around 60 million bottles - a third of the total Beaujolais harvest - is being marketed in the form of Beaujolais Nouveau.
About 33 million bottles will be exported. The remainder - 27 million bottles - will be reserved for domestic French consumption.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None