- Title: USA: GOLFER JOHN DALY RETURNS TO PROFESSIONAL GOLF ASSOCIATION
- Date: 25th May 1997
- Summary: FARMINGTON, PENNSYLVANIA, UNITED STATES (MAY 25 AND 26, 1997) 1. VARIOUS OF JOHN DALY PRACTICING ON THE DRIVING RANGE 2. INTERIOR, TIGER WOODS HUGGING DALY 3. CAMERA 4. DALY SAYING HE IS "VERY RUSTY" AND JUST WANTS TO GET BACK OUT AND PLAY ... HE IS NOT EXPECTING TOO MUCH, JUST GETTING READY FOR THE U.S OPEN -- IT'S MORE IMPORTANT TO WORRY ABOUT HIS LIFE, RATHER THAN GOLF ... HE IS TAKING IT ONE DAY AT A TIME (ENGLISH) 5. DALY APPROACH SHOT DURING SKINS GAME 6. DALY SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS, BYSTANDER URGING DALY TO SIGN WITH CALLOWAY, DALY REPLIES "I'M WORKING ON IT" (ENGLISH) 7. DALY WITH 'BIGGEST BIG BERTHA' DRIVER WHICH HE'LL PROMOTE FOR CALLOWAY GOLF COMPANY 8. ONLOOKERS 9. DALY TEEING OFF AT SKINS GAME 10. INTERIOR, TIGER WOODS SAYING IT IS GREAT TO HAVE DALY COME BACK FROM THE THINGS HE HAS HAD TO DEAL WITH AND IT SHOWS HE HAS A BIG HEART AND "A LOT OF GUTS" AND WOODS WILL ALWAYS BE "IN HIS CORNER" (ENGLISH) 11. MEDIA 12. MARK O'MEARA SAYING HE IS GLAD JOHN IS BACK AND EVERYONE SUPPORTS HIM (ENGLISH) 13. MEDIA 14. PETER JACOBSEN SAYING DALY IS HONEST, OPEN AND FAIR WITH HIMSELF, HE HAS FALLEN BEFORE AND MAY AGAIN BUT HE HAS EVERYONE'S SUPPORT, THE PGA IS A TIGHT FAMILY (ENGLISH) 15. DALY SINKING A PUTT DURING SKINS GAME Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 9th June 1997 13:00
- Location: FARMINGTON, PENNSYLVANIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVABZLFI9AHED52W30PGK2AJU34Q
- Story Text: - INTRO: Golfer John Daly made his much anticipated return to the Professional Golf Association (PGA) Tour on Sunday (May 25), while undergoing treatment for alcoholism.
Daly made his first public appearance in two months at a celebrity skins golf match on Sunday (May 25) and a pro-am event on Monday (May 26).
The longest hitting golfer on the PGA Tour five of the past six seasons was driving the ball over 330 yards at the Farmington, Pennsylvania event.
Daly told reporters that he needed practice as he had only played about nine rounds of golf in the last two months.
He added he would like to get ready for the U.S. Open but didn't have much time to do so. He emphasised he was more concerned with putting his private life in order than playing golf at the moment.
John Daly exploded onto the international golf scene in 1991 when he was entered into the PGA Championship as an alternate and won the tournament. The pinnacle of Daly's career was his 1995 victory at the British Open.
But behind his golfing success lay a personal struggle against alcoholism.
On March 27 he entered the Betty Ford Clinic in Palm Springs, California. It was his second attempt at alcohol rehabilitation.
The illness broke up his marriage and made his sponsor Wilson Sporting Goods drop him in April.
On Tuesday (May 27) Daly signed with his new sponsors Calloway Golf Company. He was seen promoting a driver called Big Bertha which seems fitting for the man who is known as Long John because he hits so far.
Tiger Woods, the hottest name in professional sports, was on hand to support his friend and fellow golfer. Woods welcomed Daly back to the tour, as did Mark O'Meara and Peter Jacobsen.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None