- Title: SWITZERLAND: FIFA SOON TO ANNOUNCE WORLD CUP 2002 HOST
- Date: 28th May 1996
- Summary: ZURICH, SWITZERLAND (MAY 28, 1996) 1. EXTERIOR OF FIFA HEADQUARTERS 2. INTERIORS OF FIFA HEADQUARTERS 3. CLOSE-UP OF WORLD CUP 4. EXTERIOR WITH FIFA FLAG Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 12th June 1996 13:00
- Location: ZURICH, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Reuters ID: LVA2TEF31ZTFT7RSOMJ9NCSYT3UM
- Story Text: The host nation for the 2002 World Cup soccer tournament will be announced on Saturday (June 1) at FIFA (Federation International de Football Association) headquarters in Zurich, Switzerland.
The choice is between Japan and South Korea for what will be the first World Cup finals staged in Asia.
Japan is banking on its long-established expertise in technological innovation and its new-found obsession with professional soccer to land the coveted prize.
Soccer officials in Seoul believe the event could help in the reunification of South and North Korea, which have remained technically at war since the 1950-53 Korean conflict.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None