- Title: YUGOSLAVIA: YUGOSLAVIA BEAT CZECH REPUBLIC 1-0 IN WORLD CUP SOCCER QUALIFIER.
- Date: 10th November 1996
- Summary: BELGRADE, YUGOSLAVIA (NOVEMBER 10, 1996) (NO ACCESS CZECH REPUBLIC/YUGOSLAVIA) YUGOSLAVIA (BLUE) V CZECH REPUBLIC (WHITE) 1. PREDRAG MIJATOVIC (NUMBER 9) RUNS THROUGH TO SCORE FROM 15 METRES, 1-0 2. REPLAY OF GOAL FROM DIFFERENT ANGLE 3. PAVEL KUKA (9) SHOOTS OVER THE YUGOSLAV BAR FROM CLOSE RANGE 4. VLADIMIR JUGOVIC (7) SHOT BLOCKED BY CZECH GOALKEEPER PAVEL SRNICEK 5. YUGOSLAV GOALKEEPER ALEKSANDAR KOCIC BLOCKS POWERFUL SHOT FROM SUBSTITUTE 6. END OF MATCH, YUGOSLAVS CELEBRATE Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 25th November 1996 12:00
- Location: BELGRADE, YUGOSLAVIA
- Country: Yugoslavia
- Reuters ID: LVA53NO7SKQEUWOWEHCL3IMJVU0S
- Story Text: Real Madrid's Predrag Mijatovic's 18th-minute goal extended Yugoslavia's perfect record in the World Cup European qualifying round as they beat the Czech Republic 1-0 on Sunday (November 10).
Yugoslavia now tops group six with four wins in as many matches and an 18-2 goal difference, having beaten the two underdog teams, the Faroe Islands twice and Malta in Belgrade.
The Czech Republic has played a draw at home with Spain and beaten Malta. The group also includes Slovakia.
Yugoslavia's offensive in the initial stages of the match was crowned when Mijatovic pushed the ball past goalkeeper Srnicek after receiving a pass from Nagoya's Dragan Stojkovic and storming down the right side of the pitch.
The Czechs took the initiative in the last third of the first half, Pavel Kuka, who plays for Kaiserslautern, coming face-to-face with goalkeeper Aleksandar Kocic twice and missing the goal both times.
Cheered by a sell-out crowd of 50,000, the Yugoslavs kept up a relentless drive in the considerably more interesting second half, failing to realize a series of chances between the 45th and 70th minutes.
Both keepers were kept very busy, Kocic just barely clearing a left-footed thunderbolt from Smicer five minutes into injury time and seconds before the match ended.
Smicer, Jugovic, Jokanovic and Djorovic received yellow cards, as did Mijatovic, who will miss the match with Spain in Valencia on December 14 after receiving two cautions.
Teams: Yugoslavia - 1-Aleksandar Kocic, 2-Risto Vidakovic (Bratislav Zivkovic 45th), 3-Goran Djorovic, 4-Slavisa Jokanovic, 5-Miroslav Djukic, 6-Sinisa Mihajlovic, 7-Vladimir Jugovic, 8-Branko Brnovic, 9-Predrag Mijatovic, 10-Dragan Stojkovic, 11-Savo Milosevic (Sasa Curcic 77th).
Czech Republic - 1-Pavel Srnicek, 2-Radoslav Latal (Karel Poborsky 86th), 3-Jan Suchoparek, 4-Pavel Nedved (Martin Frydek 79th), 5-Miroslav Kadlec, 6-Michal Hornak, 7-Jiri Nemec, 8-Vladimir Smicer, 9-Pavel Kuka (Radek Drulak 71st), 10-Patrik Berger, 11-Radek Bejbl.
Group six standings (tabulate - played, won, drawn, lost, goals for, against, points): Yugoslavia 4 4 0 0 18 2 12 Slovakia 3 3 0 0 11 1 9 Czech Republic 3 1 1 1 6 1 4 Spain 2 1 1 0 6 2 4 Faroe Islands 5 0 0 5 5 22 0 Malta 3 0 0 3 0 18 0
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None