- Title: FRANCE: FRANCE WINS THE 1998 INTERNATIONAL TEENAGERS WORLD CUP
- Date: 14th April 1998
- Summary: MONTAIGU, FRANCE (APRIL 13 1998) (RTV - SCHEDULED NEWSCASTS ONLY) 1. FLAGS OF COMPETING NATIONS 2. FRENCH TEAM (BLUE) AND CAMEROON PLAYERS (YELLOW AND RED) BEFORE THE FINAL 3. BOTH TEAMS ENTERING STADIUM/ SUPPORTERS 4. FRENCH ATTEMPT AT GOAL SAVED BY KEEPER 5. ANOTHER FRENCH ATTEMPT HITS POST 6. CAMEROON ATTEMPT IN SECOND HALF GOES WIDE 7. FRENCH GOALKEEPER MAKES FLYING SAVE OF CAMEROON VOLLEY 8. VETERAN CAMEROON WORLD CUP PLAYER ROGER MILLA (WITH CAP) 9. PLAYERS WAIT FOR PENALTY SHOOT OUT 10. CAMEROON SCORE PENALTY/FRANCE SCORE/CAMEROON PENALTY IS SAVED/FRENCH PENALTY IS SAVED/CAMEROON PENALTY IS SAVED 11. FRENCH TEAM ON PITCH CELEBRATING VICTORY 12. FRENCH COACH PATRICE BERGUES SAYING IT IS A GOOD SIGN, IF WE CAN GALVANIZE OUR (NATIONAL) TEAM DURING THE WORLD CUP IN THE SAME WAY IT WOULD BE FANTASTIC (FRENCH) 13. ITALIAN TEAM (4TH) ON PODIUM RECEIVING PRIZE 14. THE BRITISH TEAM (3RD PLACE) WITH AWARD 15. CAMEROON TEAM (2ND) ON PODIUM WITH AWARD 16. WINNING FRENCH TEAM ON PODIUM WITH AWARD Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 29th April 1998 13:00
- Location: MONTAIGU, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Reuters ID: LVABLJN2RD0NF21SQ6OP392VQSWY
- Story Text: France has won the 1998 soccer World Cup - the International teenagers World Cup that is.They beat Cameroon 4-3 in a penalty shootout.
The tournament at Montaigu in western France was a prelude to the real World Cup to be held in France in June.
Thirty-two nations were represented but it was the host nation and Cameroon who made it through to Monday's (April 13) final.
And for the third year running France were crowned champions.
However, they had to fight hard for their victory.At full time (seventy minutes) the scoreline remained goalless and the match was decided on a penalty shootout.
There were saves from both goalkeepers but it was France who eventually won 4-3.
Ten thousand fans watched the game including the Cameroon's veteran World Cup player Roger Milla.
French coach Patrice Bergues believes victory for his young team will provide a spur for the full French international squad during the World Cup this summer.
In the play-off for third and fourth place England beat Italy.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None