- Title: THAILAND: THAILAND OPEN BADMINTON
- Date: 6th November 1994
- Summary: BANGKOK, THAILAND (NOVEMBER 6, 1994) 1. OVERVIEW OF OPEN ARENA 2. LADIES' SINGLES FINALS: SUSI SUSANTI (INDONESIA) SERVING TO LIM XIAO QING (SWEDEN) 3. SCOREBOARD 4. SUSANTI SERVING MATCH POINT 5. TWO PLAYERS RECEIVE CHEQUES, TROPHIES 6. SPECTATORS 7. MEN'S SINGLES FINALS: SUN JUN (CHINA) SERVING TO JOKO SUPRIANTO (INDONESIA) 8. SPECTATORS CLAPPING 9. SUPRIANTO SERVING MATCH POINT 10. SUPRIANTO RECEIVES CHEQUE, TROPHY Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 21st November 1994 12:00
- Location: BANGKOK, THAILAND
- Country: Thailand
- Reuters ID: LVA5JAV1BEZD2ERFASCVGWT4VGTR
- Story Text: There were no surprises in the men's and women's singles finals of the Galant Lancer Thailand Open Badminton Championships in Bangkok on Sunday (November 6).
Defending champions Joko Suprianto and Susi Susanti of Indonesia successfully fought off their challengers, Suprianto gaining his third consecutive title and Susanti her fourth.
Second seed Lim Xiao Qing of Sweden lost to Susanti in straight sets, 11-5, 12-10, providing a strong challenge to the champion in the second set, leading at one point 10-8. But a final push by Susanti led to deuce and an eventual recovery to capture the match.
Suprianto faced a difficult opening by the promising Chinese challenger, Sun Jun, winning 10-15, 15-11, 15-5.
The 21-year-old Sun Jun won eight consecutive points in his first set win, and fought well midway through the second set.
Suprianto held on to equalize sets, and retained his form in a convincing final set win.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None