- Title: UK: SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY BEAT AARHUS IN INTERTOTO CUP
- Date: 22nd July 1995
- Summary: SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND, UK (JULY 22, 1995) SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY (BLUE/WHITE SHIRTS) V AGF AARHUS 1. WEDNESDAY FREE-KICK, DAVID HIRST'S SHOT GOES THROUGH AARHUS KEEPER LARS WINDFELD'S LEGS 2. MARK BRIGHT SCORES FOR WEDNESDAY, CHIPPING OVER WINDFELD (1-0) 3. NOCKO JOKOVIC SCORES FOR AARHUS WITH HEADER (1-1) SECOND-HALF 4. BRIGHT SCORES HIS SECOND FOR WEDNESDAY (2-1) 5. WINDFELD SAVES WELL FROM DAN PETRESCU 6. PETRESCU SCORES WEDNESDAYS THIRD 7. BRIGHT IS SENT OFF FOR RETALIATION 8. SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY MANAGER DAVID PLEAT COMMENTS ON MATCH (ENGLISH) Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 6th August 1995 13:00
- Location: SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Reuters ID: LVAF5L45OM4DBIJE062NTVI6HTME
- Story Text: Mark Bright scored twice but was then sensationally sent off two minutes from time as Sheffield Wednesday ended their Intertoto Cup group with a convincing 3-1 win over Danish side Aarhus on Saturday (July 22).
Bright, who had taken his tally in the competition to four goals in three appearances, was dismissed two minutes from time for retaliation when he kicked the former Norwich City player Henrik Mortensen.
The Dane had fouled Bright first and was booked, but Dutch referee Jan Wegereef instantly showed the red card to Bright for his reaction, to the dismay of the 6,990 crowd.
The win maintained Wednesday's hopes of finishing as one of the qualifiers from their group but they were forced to wait for the outcome of all the weekend's matches.
It was Bright who gave Wednesday an 11th minute lead, looping a 20-metre over the keeper from a pass by Mark Pembridge, making his debut following his move from Derby County.
Aarhus equalised after 23 minutes through Nocko Jokovic, but Bright restored Wednesday's lead on 49 minutes when he fired home from John Sheridan's pass.
Pembridge hit a post before Dan Petrescu scored his side's third five minutes from time after picking up Guy Whittingham's pass.
Group Table: (tabulate under played, won, drawn, lost, goals for, goals against, points) Karlsruher SC 4 3 1 0 13 4 10 Sheffield Wed. 4 2 1 1 7 5 7 Aarhus GF 4 2 0 2 7 8 6 FC Basel 4 2 0 2 6 6 6 KCS Gornik Zabrze 4 0 0 4 5 15 0
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None