- Title: FRANCE: THE WORLD MOTORSHOW IN PARIS
- Date: 4th October 1994
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (OCTOBER 4, 1994) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. GV EXT.EXHIBITION CENTRE 0.05 2. HAS,GV/PAN CARS ON DISPLAY (2 SHOTS) 0.21 3. HAS SV/LV CAERS ON DISPLAY (2 SHOTS) 0.35 4. SLV/SV CARS REVOLVING ON DISPLAY (7 SHOTS) 1.25 5. GV SPECTATORS AT EXHIBITION 1.29 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 19th October 1994 13:00
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Reuters ID: LVAE22YU6Y3I0RTM65E5STZK3SMG
- Story Text: The world's car makers are converging on Paris this week hoping the "World Motorshow" will mark the end of the lean sales years in Europe and a return to growth.
A preview for the press was held on Tuesday (October 4).
The show opens officially on Thursday (October 6) with some new models designed to grab attention and sales in a slow market.
Europe's car market, one of the largest in the world, suffered its biggest decline since World War Two in the past two years.
At the same time, the industry is busy reorganising itself ahead of 1997 when restrictions on sales by Japanese car makers into Europe will be lifted.
A number of companies are forming partnerships. Sometimes it is for one product only, such as the mini-van project shared by Ford, Fiat and Volkswagen in Portugal.
Some aim for a full merger, like the aborted attempt last year between Renault and Volvo. And some go for the takeover, like the BMW buyout of Britain's Rover.
Industry analysts remain cautious about the speed of Europe's economic recovery and expect a sales increase in 1994 of some 6.5 percent from 11.45 million car sold in 1993.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None