- Title: RUSSIA: RUSSIA DEFEAT HUNGARY 3-0 IN WORLD CUP QUALIFIER
- Date: 28th April 1993
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (APRIL 28, 1993) RUSSIA (WHITE SHIRTS) 3, HUNGARY 0 1. ANDREI KANSCHELSKIS TURNS HUNGARIAN DEFENCE TO GIVE RUSSIA THE LEAD 2. IGOR KOLYVANOV CONVERTS SERGEI YURAN'S CROSS TO MAKE IT 2-0 3. CROWD CELEBRATES 4. WIDE SHOT OF PITCH 5. YURAN SCORES AFTER HUNGARIAN DEFENCE FAIL TO CLEAR THE BALL OUT OF THEIR AREA 3-0 6. SHOT OF SCOREBOARD Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 13th May 1993 13:00
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Reuters ID: LVAB44X97WEMCJW65MIE4VAFUENY
- Story Text: Russia scored three superb second-half goals to defeat Hungary 3-0 in Moscow in World Cup group five on Wednesday (April 28) and took a giant stride towards next year's finals in the United States.
Manchester United winger Andrei Kanchelskis turned the match in the 55th minute when he jinked past three defenders from 40 metres out shot home.
Five minutes later Benfica striker Sergei Yuran advanced to the right edge of the penalty area before sending a low ball across for Igor Kolyvanov to steal in unnoticed from the left wing and smash the ball home.
Kolyvanov returned the favour in the 86th minute, robbing a defender before slipping the ball to Yuran whose shot from the edge of the penalty area left goalkeeper Zsolt Petry helpless.
Hungary, eager to impress new manager Ferenc Puskas, were uninspired and the match looked to be heading for a scrappy scoreless draw until Kanchelskis struck.
The victory gave Russia a maximum eight points from four games and lifted them to within one point of leaders Greece, who have played one game more.
Teams: Russia - Dmitry Kharin, Sergei Gorlukovich, Viktor Onopko, Andrei Ivanov, Andrei Kanchelskis, Igor Shalimov, Igor Dobrovolsky, Igor Korneyev (Vasily Kulkov 57), Igor Kolyvanov, Sergei Yuran, Sergei Kiryakov (Alexander Mostovoi 73).
Hungary - Zsolt Petry, Jozsef Csabi, Andras Telek, Zsolt Duro (Janus Banfy 64), Emil Lorincz, Gabor Marton, Jozsef Kiprich, Tibor Balog (Istvan Bince 64), Istvan Pisont, Lajos Detari, Kalman Kovacs.
Group five standings (tabulate under played, won, drawn, lost, goals for, against, points): Greece 5 4 1 0 5 0 9 Russia 4 4 0 0 10 0 8 Hungary 5 1 1 3 4 6 3 Iceland 4 1 0 3 2 4 2 Luxembourg 4 0 0 4 0 11 0 Remaining matches: May 20 Luxembourg v Iceland, May 23 Russia v Greece, June 2 Iceland v Russia, June 16 Iceland v Hungary, Sept 8 Hungary v Russia, Iceland v Luxembourg, Oct 12 Luxembourg v Greece, Oct 27 Hungary v Luxembourg, Nov 17 Greece v Russia
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None