- Title: RUSSIA: A RUSSIAN WEIGHTLIFTER PUTS ON AN IMPRESSIVE SHOW OF STRENGTH
- Date: 14th February 1996
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (FEBRUARY 14TH 1996) 1. WIDE SHOT OF THE RED SQUARE, VIEW OF ST BASILS, THE 100 KG WEIGHT IN FRONT OF IT. 2. BORIS GRIDNYEV BEFORE SETTING THE RECORD, PREPARING, PUTTING ON HIS GLOVES, PUTTING THE WEIGHT ON HIS SHOULDERS. 3. WIDE SHOT GRIDNYEV SQUATTING WITH THE WEIGHT ON HIS SHOULDERS 4. CUT AWAY PEOPLE WATCHING 5. MORE PIX OF GRIDNYOV SQUATTING 6. GRIDNYOV SQUATTING THE 131TH TIME 7. APPLAUSE, GRIDNYOV SAYING IN RUSSIAN "I AM PLANNING TO SET ANOTHER UNUSUAL RECORD, NEXT TIME I WILL GO UP 1000 METRES IN A BALLOON AND LIFT A WEIGHT THERE" 8. GRIDNYOV GETTING A DIPLOMA Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 29th February 1996 12:00
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Reuters ID: LVAC8F31HDDYQE4CM27NO8OEATWU
- Story Text: A Russian weightlifter put on an impressive show of strength in front of St Basil's Cathedral in Moscow, Russia on Wednesday (February 14).
Boris Gridnyev managed to squat and stand 131 times while supporting a 100 kg weight on his shoulders and claimed he had set a new record in the process although it has yet to be ratified by any official organisation.
The 32 year-old Russian weightlifter and arm-wrestling champion from the provincial town of Yelets, undeterred by the freezing temperatures of minus 17 Celcius (three fahrenheit) performed the feat in 21 minutes.
Gridnyev holds various records in a number of fields, including,the total number of one-armed push-ups, the number of sit-ups, as well as the number of push-ups achieved in oneminute.
Last october, he broke his own world-record, when he lifted a 16 kg weight 4,510 times in two hours and 20 minutes.
He also recently pushed a 38-tonne Tupelov plane three metres along a runway in the town of Voronyezh. Russian airports often have problems with fuel but this was a show of strength, not a push-start.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None