- Title: PUERTO RICO: US TROOPS ON MANOEUVRES FOR A POSSIBLE INVASION OF HAITI
- Date: 9th September 1994
- Summary: VIEQUES, PUERTO RICO (SEPTEMBER 9, 1994) 1. GV/SV : UNITED STATES (U.S.) HELICOPTERS ON GROUND (2SHOTS) 0.06 2. SLV : U.S HELICOPTERS TAKING OFF 0.15 3. LV : NAVY SHIP OFF COAST 0.19 4. SLV : SOLDIERS IN MILITARY VEHICLES 0.26 5. SV : SOLDIERS AT FIRING RANGE 0.31 6. MCU : U.S. MARINE COMMANDER RICHARDSON SAYS THAT MOST HAITIANS SUPPORT DEMOCRACY AND AN INVASION COULD BE A PUSHOVER BUT ORGANISED RESISTANCE COULD BE DIFFICULT TO DEAL WITH (ENGLISH) 0.55 7. GV/SV : SOLDIERS PRACTISE SHOOTING (4 SHOTS) 1.12 8. MCU : SOLDIER WITH BINOCULARS 1.20 9. GV : HORIZON VIEWED THROUGH BARBED WIRE 1.25 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 24th September 1994 13:00
- Location: VIEQUES ISLAND, PUERTO RICO
- Country: Puerto Rico CARIBBEAN
- Reuters ID: LVA9HG9U6KXZ4DNF7SOQKRQP0SK
- Story Text: About 18,000 United States (U.S.) troops on Friday (September 9) conducted training and military manoeuvres for a possible invasion of Haiti on the island of Vieques, off the southeast coast of Puerto Rico.
Vieques has been under the U.S. Navy's control for many years and served as a training ground for the invasions of Grenada and Panama.
The military exercises, directed by U.S. Marine Commander Richardson, included the use of helicopters and light armoured vehicles in terrain similar to that found on Haiti.
Commander Richardson said that while most people in Haiti support the restoration of democracy, the troops were preparing for possible trouble that could result from organised opposition after the invasion.
The United States is threatening to invade Haiti if ruling military leaders who seized power in a coup almost three years ago do not give up power and allow ousted President Jean-Bertrand Aristide to return.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None