- Title: RUSSIA: GENNADY SELEZNYOV ELECTED AS CHAIRMAN OF PRAVDA
- Date: 17th January 1996
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (JANUARY 17TH 1996) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV DUMA SESSION IN PROGRESS 0.04 2. SV VARIOUS OF RUSSIAN DUMA DEPUTIES 0.23 3. SV DEPUTIES VOTE, VARIOUS VIEWS OF DEPUTIES PICKING UP BALLOTS, CASTING THEIR VOTES 1.05 4. SV DEPUTIES IN DUMA 1.17 5. SCU RESULT OF THE VOTE ON SCREEN 1.21 6. SV GENNADY SELEZNOV RECEIVING CONGRATULATIONS FROM DEPUTIES 1.27 7. SCU LIBERAL DEMOCRAT PARTY LEADER VLADIMIR ZHIRINOVSKY SPEAKING (RUSSIAN) 1.33 8. SV SELEZNOV THANKING DUMA MEMBERS FOR ELECTING HIM (RUSSIAN) 1.40 9. SV DUMA SESSION 1.47 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 1st February 1996 12:00
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Reuters ID: LVAAOY15HTBVFJ69Z59KOOCSTMYH
- Story Text: Russia's lower house of parliament elected Communist Gennady Seleznyov, former editor of the Pravda daily, to the politically important post of chairman on Wednesday (January 17).
Seleznyov, 48, received 231 votes, five more than the 226 required for a majority in the State Duma.
He achieved a majority on the third ballot, defeating outgoing chairman Ivan Rybkin, candidate of the moderate Our Home is Russia bloc, who got 150 votes. In third place was Vladimir Lukin of the liberal Yabloko bloc with 50.
Two previous ballots had failed to produce a winner with more than 50 percent backing.
Seleznyov had been a deputy to Rybkin in the outgoing Duma before December's general election, in which Communists won most seats.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None