- Title: FRANCE: ENGLISH FA EXPEL CONVICTED HOOLIGAN FROM THEIR MEMBERS CLUB.
- Date: 17th June 1998
- Summary: MARSEILLE, FRANCE (JUNE 14, 1998) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. ENGLISH FANS 2. JAMES SHAYLER, BARE CHESTED WITH TATTOO NANTES, FRANCE (JUNE 16, 1998) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 3. STEVE DOUBLE SAYING: "HIS MEMBERSHIP WAS VETTED BY THE FOOTBALL INTELLIGENCE UNIT. HE HAD NO PREVIOUS FOOTBALL RELATED CONVICTIONS. HIS MEMBERSHIP WENT THROUGH IN APRIL OF LAST YEAR. AS A RESULT OF HIS CONVICTION IN MARSEILLE, THAT WILL BE CANCELLED IMMEDIATELY. THAT GOES FOR ANY MEMBERS OF THE MEMBERS CLUB, WHO'RE CONVICTED IN FRANCE AS WELL". (ENGLISH) QUESTIONER: "SO DO YOU THINK OTHERS MIGHT HAVE SLIPPED THROUGH THE CRACK, IS THAT A POSSIBILITY?" (ENGLISH) DOUBLE SAYING: "WE MOST CERTAINLY HOPE NOT. ANYONE WHO HASN'T GOT CONVICTIONS AND IS CONSIDERED SUITABLE BY THE FOOTBALL INTELLIGENCE UNIT IS FREE TO JOIN. WE'RE NOT IN A SITUATION OF PREVENTING DECENT SUPPORTERS FROM WATCHING ENGLAND ABROAD. WE WANT THE MORE DECENT SUPPORTERS WHO COME ALONG VETTED PROPERLY. THE BETTER CHANCE OF THEM PUSHING OUT THE TINY MINORITY WHO HAVE CAUSED THE PROBLEMS OVER THE LAST FEW DAYS." (ENGLISH) MARSEILLE, FRANCE (JUNE 14, 1998) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 4. JAMES SHAYLER, BARE CHESTED WITH TATTOO NANTES, FRANCE (JUNE 16, 1998) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 5. QUESTIONER: "IS THERE ANYTHING MORE THE (ENGLISH) FA CAN DO?" (ENGLISH) DOUBLE SAYING: "WE'VE BEEN WORKING CLOSELY WITH THE FRENCH POLICE, WHO'VE BEEN DOING AN EXCELLENT JOB UNDER DIFFUCULT CIRCUMSTANCES. WE APPEAL AGAIN FOR FANS WITHOUT TICKETS NOT TO COME. WE'RE LOOKING FORWARD TO TOULOUSE. IT'S NOT GOING TO BE A SITUATION WHERE THERE'S A LARGE NUMBER BLACK MARKET TICKETS AS THERE WAS IN MARSEILLE. THE STADIUM IS HALF THE SIZE. THERE'S NOT GOING TO BE THE OPPORTUNITY TO GET A TICKET. WHAT WE WANT TO SEE ARE FANS ENJOYING THE KIND OF FESTIVAL YOU SEE HERE WITH THE BRAZILIANS FANS. THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE, NOT HOW IT WAS IN MARSEILLE." (ENGLISH) QUESTIONER: "QUITE A DIFFERENCE ISN'T IT." (ENGLISH) DOUBLE SAYING: "THIS IS WHAT THE WORLD CUP IS ALL ABOUT. THIS IS HOW THE FANS SHOULD BE ENJOYING IT. WE WANT TO STAMP OUT THIS TINY PERCENTAGE WHICH CAUSE ALL THE PROBLEMS." (ENGLISH) 6. DOUBLE WALKS AWAY FROM THE CAMERA Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 2nd July 1998 13:00
- Location: NANTES, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Reuters ID: LVA3O55OL4ZNXM5L5QM0COGXVOF3
- Story Text: A spokesperson for the English FA has said that one of the members of their Members Club, who was convicted of hooliganism, will be thrown out.
Steve Double, a press officer for the English Football Association, said on Tuesday (June 16) that James Shayler, a member of their Travel Club would be thrown out immediately after being found guilty of hooliganism in Marseille.
The 32-year-old from Wellingborough in England, was convicted of throwing a missile at police in Marseille on Sunday night and sentenced to two months imprisonment.
Double, speaking outside the Stade de la Beaujoire in Nantes before Brazil's game against Morocco, explained how Shayler had managed to gain entry to the Members Club.
He also said any other members would suffer the same fate if they were found guilty.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None