- Title: USA: MIKE TYSON FACES ASSAULT CHARGES IN BROOKLYN COURT.
- Date: 25th July 2003
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (JULY 24, 2003) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. VARIOUS CENTRAL COURT BUILDING, BROOKLYN 2. MIKE TYSON ENTERING COURT 3. VARIOUS SKETCHES INSIDE COURT ROOM 4. TYSON LEAVING COURT Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 9th August 2003 13:00
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVADVAFLNF829FWSVYYBDTL1NCI8
- Story Text: Former world heavyweight champion, Mike Tyson faced
assault charges in a Brooklyn court on Thursday (July 24).
The former heavyweight champion pleaded innocent to the
assault, claiming that he was first taunted by the two men he
punched in a Brooklyn hotel last month.
Tyson's lawyers alleged that the two men told Tyson that
they were carrying guns, and Tyson responded by punching them
If he's convicted, the boxer could face up to one year
As he left the courtroom, Tyson refused to speak with
the press. However, his attorney, Mel Sachs, commented, "This
is a bad, weak case that is being brought against him.
Justice will be served; the case will be completely dismissed
against Mike Tyson."
This is not the first brawl outside of the ring for
He was convicted and imprisoned for raping a former
beauty queen in 1991, and attacked rival Lennox Lewis after
losing their match early last year.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None