- Title: GERMANY : WATER BOARDING CHALLENGE IN THE BAVARIAN ALPS
- Date: 4th April 2004
- Summary: TRAUNSTEIN, GERMANY (APRIL 4, 2004) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. PAN FROM BAVARIAN ALPS TO START RAMP 2. SNOWBOARDER GOING DOWN TRACK AMD JUMPING INTO POND 3. ANOTHER SNOWBOARDER DROWNING IN POND 4. SPECTATORS WATCHING 5. WET SNOWBOARDER ON SIDE OF POND 6. WIDE OF RAMP 7. FROGMAN JUMPING INTO POND AND COMING TO RESCUE OF WOMAN SNOWBOARDER 8. ICE FLOATING IN POND 9. WOMAN SNOWBOARDER BEING HELPED OUT OF POND 10. SNOWBOARDER SUCCESSFULLY RACING ACROSS POND TO OTHER SIDE 11. (SOUNDBITE) (German) SCHMITTEN-MOUNTAIN RAILWAY SPOKESWOMAN VERENA JOCHINGER SAYING: "The most important thing is speed. So snowboarder and skier can participate, both in the same category. They gather speed, then they race down the hill, and then attempt to glide as long as possible over the water pool." 12. SKIER GOES INTO POND 13. PECTATORS WATCHING 14. SNOWBOARDER CLOWN DROWNING 15. ANOTHER SNOWBOARDER DROWNING 16. REFEREE 17. COUPLE DRYING THEMSELVES WITH TOWELS 18. WIDE OF SKI LIFTS Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 19th April 2004 13:00
- Location: TRAUNSTEIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Reuters ID: LVAEBJNVD8EWMX8HCMSR6LQPX3IP
- Story Text: Germany show to the world the fun of water boarding.
Young holidaymakers in the Bavarian Alps have turned
their snowboards and skis into waterboards on Sunday (April
4) and several have taken a dive into an artificial pond.
Participants had to run downhill and dive into an
artificial pond, using with their favourite equipment, with
skiers and snowboarders competing together.
Verena Jochinger, spokeswoman for the
Schimtten-Mountain railway, explained
what this unique challenge, called water boarding, was all
"The most important thing is speed. So snowboarder and
skier can participate, both in the same category. They
gather speed, then they race down the hill, and then
attempt to glide as long as possible over the water pool."
To float as long as possible and make to the other
side o the pond was the ultimate goal.
Many of the contestants clearly did not manage it but
in the end, skiers, snowboarders and spectators alike had a
lot of fun together.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None