- Title: JERUSALEM: ORTHODOX CHRISTIANS ATTEND EASTER CANDLE LIGHTING CEREMONY.
- Date: 4th May 2002
- Summary: (W5) JERUSALEM (MAY 4, 2002) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. VARIOUS: PROCESSION OF ORTHODOX CHRISTIANS MAKING ITS WAY TOWARDS THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY SEPULCHRE PAST SECURITY (4 SHOTS) 0.26 2. CU/ZOOM/MV: WOMAN HOLDING FLOWERS/ ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN FAITHFUL AT STONE WHERE JESUS CHRIST IS SAID TO HAVE BEEN LAID AFTER HE WAS TAKEN DOWN FROM THE CROSS 0.39 3. MV: ARMENIAN ORTHODOX CHRISTIANS ENTERING CHURCH 0.50 4. MV/GV: NUN PRAYING/ CANDLES BURNING IN THE FOREGROUND/ PEOPLE IN CHURCH WATCHING CEREMONY (2 SHOTS) 0.57 5. GV: ORTHODOX CHRISTIANS START TO LIGHT CANDLES AS BELLS RING (8 SHOTS) 1.41 6. GV/PAN: GREEK ORTHODOX PATRIARCH IRINEOS WITH LIT CANDLE BEING CARRIED THROUGH CROWD 1.54 7. CU/GV: CROWD OF ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN FAITHFUL STANDING WITH LIT CANDLES (2 SHOTS) 1.59 8. LAS: PRIEST RINGING BELL FROM BELL TOWER 2.03 9. GV: EXTERIOR OF CHURCH, CROWD OF ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN FAITHFUL 2.10 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 19th May 2002 13:00
- Location: JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Reuters ID: LVABBGCBKLW4O5C9VRB017CGYIKV
- Story Text: Crowds of Orthodox Christian faithful have attended a
candle lighting ceremony at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
in old Jerusalem ahead of Easter Sunday.
The celebration took place under the watchful eye of
nearby security as the month-old standoff at Bethlehem's
Church of the Nativity continued.
Orthodox Christians in Jerusalem have been preparing
for the most important
day of their church calendar, Easter Sunday (May 6), which
they believe marks the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
On Saturday (May 5) crowds of Armenian, Russian and
Greek Orthodox Christians and other religious faithful made
their way towards the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in the Old
City, built on the site where Christians believe Jesus was
buried after he was taken down from the cross.
Several women with flowers in their hands kneeled down
at the stone where Jesus's body is said to have been laid.
Other's touched the stone before placing their hands on their
Inside the church the crowd of religious faithful lit
candles to symbolise the resurrection of Jesus from the dead
before hoisting Greek Orthodox Patriarch Irineos at shoulder
height through the crowd.
Outside the Jerusalem church even more people waited to
join in the Orthodox religious ceremony and Easter
Meanwhile, a new round of talks have begun on ending
the month-old confrontation to end Israel's siege of
Bethlehem's Church of the Nativity, revered as the site where
Jesus was born.
Bethlehem mayor Hanna Nasser said on Saturday U.S.
officials were involved in the negotiations and he expected
the long-drawn-out standoff to end later in the day. Israeli
negotiators could not be reached for comment.
Tensions in Bethlehem remained high on Saturday as an
army sharpshooter killed a Palestinian security officer in the
church, where militants took refuge when the army burst into
Bethlehem a month ago to crush a network of suicide bombers.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None