- Title: GERMANY: HEAVY RAIN AND FLOODS HAVE CLAIMED AT LEAST THREE LIVES
- Date: 9th June 2002
- Summary: (W5) DIEDORF, GERMANY (JUNE 7, 2002) (REUTERS) 1. MV SIGN READING "FLOODING - DETOUR," PULLOUT TO WIDE OF ROAD 0.10 2. SLV WATER EMERGING FROM HOSE; SCU HOSE; SLV FIRE TRUCK IN STREET WITH HOSES; SLV HOSE PUMPING WATER FROM FLOODED GARAGE; SLV FIREMEN BEHIND TREE STANDING IN WATER (5 SHOTS) 1.01 3. SLV HEARSE PARKED IN STREET; SCU PULLOUT FROM STREAM (2 SHOTS) 1.16 4. SOUNDBITE (German) MANFRED GOTTSCHALK, DIEDORF POLICE SPOKESMAN SAYING "(The dead) is an eighty-one year old woman who tried to remove things from her basement. She was overcome by the water which entered her basement. As far as I know a neighbour tried to rescue the woman by risking his own life but unfortunately the rescue attempt was unsuccessful and the woman was found dead." 1.37 5. SLV COFFIN REMOVED FROM HEARSE; SLV POLICE VAN IN STREET (2 SHOTS) 2.01 6. SLV WATER EMERGING FROM HOSES; SLV SANDBAGS OUTSIDE GARAGE; SLV POLICEMEN WALKING TOWARDS FIRE TRUCK; SLV FIRE DEPARTMENT VAN DRIVING AWAY (5 SHOTS) 2.30 7. SLV TENTS SET UP IN FIELD WITH RED CROSS WORKER OUTSIDE TENT 2.35 8. WIDE OF RESCUE SERVICES IN STREET 2.40 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 24th June 2002 13:00
- Location: DIEDORF, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Reuters ID: LVA45WLH6OBT7FKBKWAFXXDVM0WJ
- Story Text: Heavy rain and subsequent flooding have killed at least
three people in Bavaria, according to police.
In the town of Diedorf near Augsburg, southern Germany,
one elderly woman was pulled dead from the water on Friday
(June 7, 2002) while two men drowned in an underground parking
lot, according to a police spokesman.
"(The dead person) is an eighty-one year old woman who
tried to remove things from her basement. She was overcome by
the water which entered her basement," said Manfred Gottshcalk
of Diedorf police.
"As far as I know a neighbour tried to rescue the woman by
risking his own life but unfortunately the rescue attempt was
unsuccessful and the woman was found dead," Gottschalk added.
As rescue services set up tents to treat any injured
people efforts continued to pump water out of flooded
According to police, scores of roads and basements were
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None