- Title: GERMANY: TAXI AND LORRY DRIVERS PROTEST AGAINST HIGH FUEL COSTS.
- Date: 21st September 2000
- Summary: KIEL, GERMANY (SEPTEMBER 20, 2000) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. CU/MV/GV: VARIOUS OF TAXIS PARKED IN LINES WITH DRIVERS OUTSIDE CARS TAKING PART IN PROTEST (7 SHOTS) 0.51 2. MCU: (SOUNDBITE) (German) WALTER KOCH, SPOKESPERSON FOR THE TAXI DRIVERS SAYING: "Fuel prices are far too high prices have risen 80 per cent since 1989 and this is now the end of the line." 1.05 3. CU/GV: VARIOUS OF TAXI DRIVERS QUEUED UP (3 SHOTS) 1.19 4. CU: SIGN IN WINDOW SAYING SAVE OUR EXISTENCE, LOWER THE PRICES. 1.24 5. GV: TAXIS DRIVING TOWARDS TOWN CENTRE (3 SHOTS) 1.50 6. GV: VARIOUS OF TAXIS IN TOWN CENTRE (2 SHOTS) 2.01 7. GV: DISRUPTED TRAFFIC WAITING (2 SHOTS) 2.10 BETWEEN OFFENBACH AND FRANKFURT, GERMANY (SEPTEMBER 20, 2000) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 8. GV: VARIOUS TRUCK DRIVERS JOINING DISPUTE, IN LINE ON MOTORWAY FROM OFFENBACH TO FRANKFURT (8 SHOTS) 2.57 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 6th October 2000 13:00
- Location: KIEL AND BETWEEN OFFENBACH AND FRANKFURT, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Reuters ID: LVABUNRJP93T8SV6JIAFR2VMSUYV
- Story Text: Long lines of taxis and trucks protesting against high
fuel prices have caused traffic chaos in Frankfurt and in the
north western town of Kiel.
Protesting taxi drivers and lorry drivers continued
their protests across Germany on Wednesday (September 20).
Motorcades of taxis disrupted traffic causing massive
traffic jams in Kiel.
Meanwhile in Frankfurt 30 or 40 lorries joined the
dispute. Between 100 and 200 vehicles had been expected.
The German government continued to play for time amid
calls to cancel an upcoming petrol tax increase and a morning
cabinet meeting did not even include the crisis on the agenda.
German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder, who has adopted a low
public profile in recent days, met Finance Minister Hans
Eichel to review the impact of a possible increase in tax
deductions for drivers, a spokesperson said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None