- Title: France: 600 scientists discuss solar pumps.
- Date: 4th June 1973
- Summary: 1. gv pan UNESCO building Paris cu Unesco sign 0.10 2. cu agenda sheet - solar driven pump in Mauritania 0.13 3. gv interior - delegates in conference 0.16 4. scu speaker ( (not identified) 0.21 5. sv and fg delegate listen (two shots) 0.35 6. Solar apparatus (three shots) 0.51 7. sv to women look at model 0.56 8. four shots of solar pump in Mauritania 1.20 9. scu pan two delegates look at other solar equipment. 1.36 1 and 2 At the UNESCO headquarters in Paris more than 600 scientists are meeting (july 2 - 6) to discuss 'The Sun in the service of mankind' The conference is sponsored by the United States, Franco and West Germany. 3,4 and 5 It's ???ain stressed that although solar energy cannot provide sh???t term solution to the World's fuel shortage, it can ??? role in reducing dependence on fo???il and sinoral ???. Delegates will ??? than four hundred paper presented on the theory and application of the sun's ray as energy source. 6 and 7 Solar cells - widely used in space programmes - are also helping to solve man's more earthly problems, such as the shortage of water. Delegates have been examining models of solar driven pumps used in West African countries to lift water from deep wells. They are Cheap to run and virtually pollution-free, 8 One such pump is at Chinguetti in Mauritania. Norking for five to six hours a day, it will eventually bring water to about two thousand people. Other similar are located in pumps Upper Volt Niger and Single: - some have been inservice since 1966. Parts of all three countries are affected by a severe ??? drought at present. 9 The fix-day conference will also hear details of other project - Many an yet merely in the development stage - such as a solar electric car from France and a sun powered domestic cooker from Egypt. Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 19th June 1973 13:00
- Location: Paris, France
- Country: France
- Reuters ID: LVA17LSICW7AX6R3D6MMZ5FKZ7F7
- Story Text: 600 scientists from 70 countries ???meting in Paris ( July 2 - 6) to discuss ??? in which solar energy can be har???ed to man's needs. Meeting at the headquarters if the United Nations Educational, scientific and Cultural Organisation (U.N.S.S.C.O.), the ??? will have a chance to study more than 400 papers on the sun and the energy source it offers.
The conference is divided into three main sections: Sun and Life, Sun and Energy and Sun and Habitat.
Among the ideas are one from Franco for a Solar electric car, an Egyptian domestic cooker run off the suns rays and house in California which is airconditioned by the sun.
Among the more immediately realisable projects are solar pumps, presently running in Mauritania, Upper Volta and Niger, where they are used to lift ??? from walls.
AT a ??? conference before the session, Journalists were told that the sun was an almost limitless source of pollution free energy' Professor J.N. Duffie, Fresi??? of the International Solar energy Society said that in the long run power from the san could play a big part reducing man's dependence on fossil fuel sources.
The conference is being jointly sponsored by the Unite ??? States, French and West German Governments.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None