- Title: RUSSIA: FATHER FROST AND SNOW FAIRY BEGIN NEW YEAR JOURNEY
- Date: 24th December 2000
- Summary: VELIKII USTYUG, RUSSIA (DECEMBER 22, 2000) (REUTERS) 1. SLV HOUSE OF RUSSIAN FATHER FROST 0.05 2. MV FATHER FROST COMING DOWN THE STAIRS OF HIS HOUSE TO MEET HIS GRANDAUGHTER SNOWFAIRY; CHILDREN WAVING; SCU HANDS WAVING SPARKLERS (5 SHOTS) 0.31 3. SLV THREE HORSES PULLING SLEIGH; SLV FATHER FROST AND SNOWFAIRY LEAVING FOR VELIKII USTYUG (2 SHOTS) 0.51 5. SLV.MV CHILDREN ON STEPS OF STAGE WAVING SPARKLERS AND FATHER FROST SPEAKING AT MICROPHONE; PEOPLE DANCING; MV OLD WOMEN WEARING RUSSIAN SHAWLS DANCING; PEOPLE DANCING (7 SHOTS) 1.34 6. SCU FOODSTALL (2 SHOTS) 1.42 MOSCOW, RUSSIA (DECEMBER 23, 2000) (REUTERS) 7. SLV CORTEGE WITH FATHERS FROSTS MOVING THROUGH TVERSKAYA STREET IN CENTRAL MOSCOW; CHILDREN WALKING BETWEEN CARS WITH FATHERS FROSTS; SCU WOMAN WITH PINK RABBIT EARS WATCHING PERFORMANCE (4 SHOTS) 2.00 8. SCU CHILDREN SITTING ON THEIR FATHERS' SHOULDERS 2.05 9. SLV FATHERS FROSTS ON STAGE DANCING 2.14 10. MV CLOWNS DANCING ON THE STREET 2.19 11. SLV ZOOM OUT SAINT BASIL CATHEDRAL ON RED SQUARE, POEPLE WATCHING PERFORMANCE; SLV FATHER FROST AND SNOWFAIRY GETTING ON STAGE (2 SHOTS) 2.40 12. MV WOMEN-SKATERS DANCING ON ICE-RING; CHILDREN WATCHING PERFORMANCE (2 SHOTS) 2.51 14. LAS CHRIISTMAS TREE ON RED SQUARE 2.56 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 8th January 2001 12:00
- Location: VELIKII USTYUG AND MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Reuters ID: LVAF1KEF4IPXVK08GNU9WQTR7EGK
- Story Text: Russia's Father Frost and Snow Fairy have left their
home in the old town of Velikii Ustyug to begin their New Year
journey through the country, heralding the start of Russia's
Russians traditionally begin their holiday
celebrations with arrival of the New Year, followed by
Orthodox Christmas on January 7th; and the countdown to both
dates has already begun .
This year's Father Frost and Snow Fairy, picked out of
thousands candidates, left their home in the outskirts of the
old Russian town of Velikii Ustyug to begin a long journey
through the country.
Like his western counterpart, Santa Claus, Father Frost
has the weighty task of brining holiday gifts and greetings to
good children all across the land.
In Father Frost's native town celebrations were held to
mark the beginning of his journey.
People of all ages packed Velikii Ustyug's central square
to greet Father Frost and his grandaughter, the Snow Fairy.
Biting frost didn't spoil the fun. Hot tea and lots of dancing
kept people warm and festivities went on long after Father
The first stop was Moscow, where Father Frost and Snow
Fairy were welcomed by thousands of children and fifty
assistants. Younger Father Frosts will also travel through
Russia, making sure that all children even those living in the
remote parts of the country will get their New Year's gifts.
The opening of the holiday season in Russia was also
marked by another event - opening of a skating ring and
lighting of the country's main Christmas tree on the Red
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None