- Title: RUSSIA: THOUSANDS PROTEST FOR AND AGAINST REFORMS
- Date: 12th February 2005
- Summary: (W3) MOSCOW, RUSSIA (FEBRUARY 12, 2005) (REUTERS) 1. WIDE OF PRO-PUTIN DEMONSTRATION ORGANISED BY THE "UNITED RUSSIA" PARTY; PEOPLE WITH UNITED RUSSIA WHITE AND BLUE FLAGS; SLV POLICE; FLAGS; WIDE OF DEMONSTRATION 2. PEOPLE HOLDING SIGNS READING:"PUTIN, WE TRUST IN YOU", "WE TRUST OUR PRESIDENT" 0.40 3. (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) OLGA YAKOVLEVA, MOSCOVITE, SAYING: "Why are we here? Because we support our president, his policy, his position, we support everything he is doing." 0.48 4. (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) ANDREI, MOSCOVITE, SAYING: "The meaning of this action is to show support for the president and the government. Their policy is right, the people should get money, not some virtual benefits and people should be informed that they are protected by the President and by the government." 1.07 5. WIDE OF UNITED RUSSIA DEMONSTRATION 1.20 6. WIDE OF COMMUNIST RALLY; RED FLAGS AND LENIN MONUMENT; SLV PROTESTERS; SLV PEOPLE STANDING AROUND THE MONUMENT, RED FLAGS; SLV COMMUNIST LEADER GENNADY ZYUGANOV ADDRESSING CROWD 1.59 7. (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) LYUBOV, MOSCOVITE, SAYING: "Of course, we came here to express our anger, we are not satisfied with the way we live today, with the policy of our rulers." 2.09 8. SV YOUNG PROTESTERS TRYING TO BREAK THROUGH POLICE CORDON; SLV PEOPLE LISTENING; MV SIGN READING "PUTIN'S REGIME IS KILLING RUSSIA"; WIDE OF COMMUNIST RALLY 2.42 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 27th February 2005 12:00
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Reuters ID: LVAEWR0WUV7DHU3I0GOBBZKW49HW
- Story Text: Thousands of Russians protest for and against reforms.
Hundreds of thousands of rival demonstrators massed
around 70 Russian towns on Saturday (February 12, 2005) to
condemn or applaud reforms carried out by the government of
President Vladimir Putin.
In the biggest protest, thousands of pro-Putin
demonstrators marched the traditional route through the
centre of the capital, chaperoned by hundreds of police
equipped with machine-guns and camouflage uniforms.
"Why are we here? Because we support our president,
his policy, his position, we support everything he is
doing," said Muscovite Olga Yakovleva.
Police at the scene said the crowd numbered 5,000 to
6,000 people, but the Interior Ministry spokesman said
there were 40,000.
The demonstration, initiated by the pro-Putin's party "
United Russia" was called "Together with Putin" People were
marching with the signs "We support Putin", "We trust our
Just few kilometres away from the pro-Putin
demonstration gathered several thousand communists. They
protested against the monetisation of the benefits,
introduced by the government. People were holding signs
"Patina's regime is killing Russia" and numerous red
banners. Communist leader Gennady Zyuganov addressed the
"Of course, we came here to express our anger, we are
not satisfied with the way we live today, with the policy
of our rulers," said one woman protester. According to the
Russian Interfax news agency a total of 250,000 people had
protested across Russia.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None