- Title: SRI LANKA: FUNERAL PROCESSION BEGINS FOR ASSASSINATED FOREIGN MINISTER.
- Date: 15th August 2005
- Summary: (W3) COLOMBO, SRI LANKA (AUGUST 15, 2005) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. GV: BUDDHIST PRIESTS GO TO OFFICIAL RESIDENCE OF LAKSHMAN KADIRGAMAR TO CONDUCT RELIGIOUS RITES (2 SHOTS) 0.10 2. MV/GV: COFFIN BEING BROUGHT OUT; OFFICIALS AND ONLOOKERS; FUNERAL PROCESSION MOVES OUT (9 SHOTS) 1.00 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 30th August 2005 13:00
- Location: COLOMBO, SRI LANKA
- Country: Sri Lanka
- Reuters ID: LVA8VM9JSSG8K4RS4D8JIIY9BSFZ
- Story Text: Procession with body of assasinated minister.
Thousands of people paid their last respects on
Monday (August 15) to Lakshman Kadirgamar, whose murder has
plunged a protracted peace process into its worst crisis
Foreign dignitaries and Buddhist monks in saffron robes
were among the long line of people who filed past
Kadirgamar's open coffin at his official residence in
Colombo's elegant diplomatic quarter.
Carpenters worked through the night to erect a funeral
pyre in Colombo's Independence Square as thousands of
police scoured the city for the sniper or snipers who shot
Kadirgamar four times as he emerged from his swimming pool
on Friday night (August 12).
Police expect up to 10,000 people to attend the funeral.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None