- Title: IRAQ:
- Date: 4th October 2003
- Summary: (W4) MOSUL, IRAQ (OCTOBER 4, 2003) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. WS: STREET SCENE WITH TRUCK MAKING ITS WAY TO IRAQI BANK IN AN ARMED CONVOY. 0.05 2. MV: COALITION FORCES TROOP ON GUARD. 0.10 3. HAS/MV: TRUCK ARRIVING AT BANK. 0.15 4. MV/TRACK: OF SEALED BOXES CONTAINING NEW CURRENCY BEING UNLOADED FROM TRUCK AND CARRIED INTO BANK. 0.22 5. HAS/WS: OF INTERIOR OF BANK. 0.30 6. HAS/SCU: COALITION SOLDIERS INSIDE BANK. 0.33 7. VARIOUS OF SEALED BOXES BEING CARRIED THROUGH BANK AND BEING PILED IN STRONG ROOM OF BANK 8. MLV: SOLDIER WITH GUN IN BACK OF TRUCK OUTSIDE BANK. 1.00 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 19th October 2003 13:00
- Location: MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Reuters ID: LVA6GV761GLRRDZS6R67YC0PVUKU
- Story Text: Iraq's new currency has been distributed amongst
several banks in Mosul.
Iraq's new currency arrived in Mosul in Northern
Iraq on Saturday morning (October 4) and was distributed
amongst several Iraqi banks.
The money arrived in Mosul ahead of the official day
for exchange from the old currency which is October 15. It
was delivered under tight security provided by the
coalition forces. The truck had been accompanied on its
journey by Fijian and American troops.
The second brigade of 101st airborne division, based in
Mosul, oversaw the delivery of the bills which are sealed
in boxes. American forces will provide security along with
local Iraqi police and Iraqi security until the day of
exchange when the money will be handed out to residents.
Banks across the country, which formerly kept billions
of dinars in salaries for Saddam Hussein's army, are also
filling with dollars from newly-opened foreign currency
Although Saddam allowed individuals to open foreign
currency accounts from 1995 to encourage the inflow of hard
currency, fear of expropriation of their assets kept most
Targetted by looters and thieves, banks are among the
most heavily guarded institutions in Iraq.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None