- Title: TURKEY: HUMANS AND ANIMALS COOL DOWN IN SWELTERING HEAT
- Date: 12th August 2003
- Summary: (EU) IZMIR, TURKEY (AUGUST 9, 2003) (REUTERS) 1. ZOOKEEPER BRINGS MELON INTO ELEPHANTS CAGE 2. ELEPHANT EATS THE MELON 3. KEEPER POURS WATER ONTO ELEPHANT 4. ANOTHER ZOOKEEPER POURS WATER ONTO A TIGER (EU) DIYARBAKIR, TURKEY (AUGUST 9, 2003) (REUTERS) 5. OSTRICHS' KEEPER POURS WATER ON THEM 6. (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) OSTRICH KEEPER MAHZUN GEZER SAYING "If you do not wet them at least three times a day, they may become so angry, if you pour water on them they get calm down, but if not they can even beat a man down." 7. SLV COW INSIDE HER ENCLOSURE WITH A TURNING CEILING FAN (EU) ANTALYA, TURKEY (AUGUST 10, 2003) (REUTERS) 8. TWO WOMEN STANDING AT A BAR NEAR SWIMMING POOL 9. TWO WOMEN AND A MAN LYING IN POOL 10. GROUP OF MEN TRYING TO STAND ON SURFBOARD IN POOL 11. TWO WOMEN IN BIKINI'S SUNBATHING IN POOL 12. WOMAN AND CHILD IN SWIMMING POOL 13. MAN FLOATING IN POOL (EU) DIYARBAKIR, TURKEY (AUGUST 10, 2003) (REUTERS) 14. VARIOUS OF CHILDREN SWIMMING IN A PUBLIC FOUNTAIN (EU) ANTALYA, TURKEY (AUGUST 10, 2003)(REUTERS) 15. VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ON THE BEACH 16. AN OLD MAN POURS WATER ON HIMSELF AND A SMALL BOY 17. (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) MARKET SHOP OWNER ALI DERE SAYING "I own a market shop, so I can not leave it during the day time therefore I water the garden then myself, the weather is too hot, we try to refresh ourselves like this." (EU) DIYARBAKIR, TURKEY (AUGUST 10, 2003) (REUTERS) 18. PEOPLE DRINKING COLD DRINKS 19. BOYS DRINKING WATER FROM FOUNTAIN 20. VARIOUS OF PEOPLE SITTING IN THE PARK 5.29 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 27th August 2003 13:00
- Location: IZMIR, DIYARBAKIR AND ANTALYA, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Reuters ID: LVA7EF5D9VHG8DWP8UDMP096D4YO
- Story Text: Humans and animals cool down in Turkey in the
The veteran elephant at Izmir zoo is privileged.
Bahadir, the zoo's main attraction, is entitled to not only
a cold shower, but two cold water melons a day. Keepers say
it is hard to keep Bahadir, who uses his trunk to eat the
water melons, happy in the sweltering heat.
Tiger Misa walks in silence towards the fence when his
keeper appears. His shower lasts only for 10 minutes which
is far from enough in this heat.
In Diyarbakir zoo, the ostriches have three showers a
"Ostriches may become very angry," said their young
keeper Mahzun Gezer. "They can even beat a man down, if you
do not wet them 3 times a day". Meteorologists in the city
of Diyarbakir say 45 degrees Celsius is higher than summer
But it's not only the ostriches who should feel
privileged in this city's zoo. The only cow in the zoo has
an enclosure with a ceiling fan.
Temperatures have soared during the weekend all over
Turkey. Thousands of people are flocking to the beaches and
pools. But many can't go to far. Although Ali Dere lives in
Antalya, a seaside resort, he can't go to the beach
whenever he wants.
"I own a market shop, so I can not leave it during the
day time therefore I water the garden then myself, the
weather is too hot, we try to refresh ourselves like this."
said Ali Dere. He resort to a hose pipe in his front garden
next to the shop.
Weather experts in Turkey are saying that so far, there
is no sight of rain for Turkey's hot animal and human
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None