- Title: CROATIA: MASS GRAVE DISCOVERED
- Date: 28th April 2001
- Summary: OSIJEK, CROATIA (APRIL 27, 2001) (REUTERS) 1. SLV MASS GRAVE; MV PEOPLE AT GRAVE/ WORKERS DIGGING; MV POLICE GUARD SITE (4 SHOTS) 0.21 2. SCU SKULLS, IDENTITIY NUMBERS; SCU SHOES NEAR BONES; SCU CLOTHES ON BONES; GUARD LOOKS ON; SCU MORE BONES (12 SHOTS) 1.48 ZAGHREB, CROATIA (APRIL 27, 2001) (REUTERS) 3. SLV EXTERIOR CORONORS BUILDING (2 SHOTS) 1.58 4. MV/SCU FAMILIES WITH DOCTORS/ DOCTORS EXPLAIN THE PROCESS OF IDENTIFICATION WITH DNA; MV FAMILY CRYING (6 SHOTS) 2.47 5. SOUNDBITE (Croatian) COLONEL IVAN GRUIC, CHIEF OF THE GOVERNMENT OFFICE FOR MISSING PERSONS SAYING THE PEOPLE WHO WERE MASSACRED WERE CIVILIANS, AND THERE WERE A LOT MORE KILLED 3.13 UNIDENTIFIED LOCATIONS, CROATA (FILE) (REUTERS) 6. MV FIGHTING BETWEEN CROATIAN AND SERB TROOPS (2 SHOTS) 3.31 7. SLV TROOPS; MV REFUGEES WALKING ON SIDE OF ROAD; SCU WOMAN CRYING; SLV BURNING BUILDING (4 SHOTS) 3.56 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 13th May 2001 13:00
- Location: OSIJEK; ZAGHREB; AND UNIDENTIFIED LOCATIONS, CROATIA
- Country: Croatia
- Reuters ID: LVAA1M300ETW1XNR39RADW7FVVVZ
- Story Text: At least 16 bodies have been found buried in a mass
grave near Vukovar in Croatia.
Croatia on Wednesday (April 25) began excavating a
mass grave on a farm in eastern Slavonia believed to contain
several dozen bodies of civilians killed when rebel Serbs
captured the city of Vukovar in 1991.
According to officials, by Friday (April 27), the remains
of at least 16 bodies had been found at a farm north-west of
the Danube port of Vukovar.
Vukovar was the scene of some of the fiercest battles of
Croatia's 1991-95 independence war, during which the Yugoslav
army and Serb rebels besieged and bombarded the town for three
months before capturing it.
The excavation, monitored by officials from the
Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE),
should take about 10 days and the remains will be transported
to Zagreb for a post-mortem, Grujic said.
Officials believe the victims had probably been brought to
the site by bus after the Serb paramilitaries, backed by the
Yugoslav army, rolled into Vukovar in November 1991.
Three Yugoslav army officers have been indicted by the
Hague war crimes tribunal for their actions in Vukovar, the
most notable being the execution of patients at the main
hospital. All three are still at large in Yugoslavia.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None