- Title: RUSSIA: HEATWAVE EFFECTING WESTERN RUSSIA
- Date: 27th July 2003
- Summary: (W4) MOSCOW, RUSSIA (JULY 28, 2003) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. WIDE OF FOUNTAINS NEAR RED SQUARE 0.05 2. SMV PEOPLE SITTING NEAR FOUNTAIN 0.11 3. WIDE OF BOY BATHING IN FOUNTAIN 0.17 4. SLV MAN HOLDING CHILD IN WATERS OF FOUNTAIN 0.24 5. SLV GIRL WALKING IN FOUNTAIN 0.32 6. SCU (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) OLGA SAYING: "Weather is fantastic! It's hot and great to get some suntan." 0.39 7. SCU (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) TATYANA SAYING: "Heat is much better than rain." 0.44 8. VARIOUS OF PEOPLE NEAR WATER /USING WATER TO COOL DOWN (2 SHOTS) 1.03 9. WIDE OF FOUNTAINS 1.14 10. SLV BOYS SWIMMING IN FOUNTAIN 1.15 11. SLV PEOPLE DRINKING WATER 1.21 12. SLV MAN READING IN THE SUN 1.25 13. SMV MAN WITH HIS SON IN THE WATER 1.36 14. WIDE OF CHILDREN WALKING IN FOUNTAINS 1.42 15. SCU (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) IGOR SAYING: "It's a bit hot. I don't know what the temperature is now but the forecast said it will be 31C." 1.52 16. CLOSE OF ELECTRONIC BOARD WITH TEMPERATURE READING 27C 2.01 17. WIDE OF PEOPLE IN THE STREET 2.08 (W4) MOSCOW, RUSSIA (JULY 27, 2003) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 18. VARIOUS OF PEOPLE SUNBATHING ON THE RIV ER BANK 2.19 19. SLV BOY RUNNING AND JUMPING INTO RIVER 2.26 20. SLV BOY LIFTING DOG INTO RIVER 2.37 21. SMV WOMAN AND CHILDREN WITH FISHING LINE 2.41 22. GV MAN SWIMMING IN RIVER 2.46 23. SLV BOY COOLING BOTTLES OF BEER IN RIVER 2.52 24. WIDE OF PEOPLE SWIMMING IN RIVER 2.58 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 11th August 2003 13:00
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Reuters ID: LVABVIYRNYFEFJ1JICOT09SDOVLA
- Story Text: A heatwave is affecting some western parts of Russia -
prompting many residents outdoors and into rivers and swimming
pools to try to keep cool.
In parts of western Russia, residents on Sunday and
Monday (July 27-28) were struggling to keep cool as summer
made its first real appearance of the season.
In the capital Moscow, temperatures soared to more than 30
degrees celsius. In the country's second city St. Petersburg,
temperatures also pushed above the 30 degree mark.
The hot weather follows an unseasonally cool June and a
particularly cold and bitter winter.
Residents who were taking time to cool off said the change
in weather was very welcome.
"Weather is fantastic! It's hot and great to get some
suntan," said Olga.
"Heat is much better than rain," Tatyana agreed.
But others would prefer slightly cooler weather.
"It's a bit hot. I don't know what the temperature is now
but the forecast said it will be 31C," a man called Igor said.
Forecasters predicted the hot temperatures would continue
for at least a week. The forecast prompted fears of a return
of the forest fires and ensuing smog which gripped much of
Moscow at this time last year.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None