- Title: BELGIUM: TONY BLAIR ARRIVES IN BRUSSELS FOR CRUCIAL EU SUMMIT.
- Date: 12th December 2003
- Summary: (W7) BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (DECEMBER 11, 2003) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. GV: EU COUNCIL HEADQUARTERS WITH SATELLITE TRUCKS 0.06 2. GV: BRITISH PRIME MINISTER TONY BLAIR ARRIVING 0.13 3. MCU: CAMERAMAN 0.18 4. (SOUNDBITE) (English) BRITISH PRIME MINISTER TONY BLAIR SAYING: "There is no doubt at all that it is going to be a tough negotiation. Europe is becoming a Europe of 25, it's a huge change for Europe and we've got to make sure that we take the right decisions for the economy, for security, that aren't just in the British interests - that's obviously very important for me - but also make Europe work effectively. So of course it's going to be a tough negotiation." 0.48 5. CU: CAMERAMAN 0.53 6. (SOUNDBITE) (English) BLAIR SAYING: "I think what most people understand with 25 countries especially with 10 new countries coming in, some of whom have struggled long and hard to become nations, then they're not going to give up that nationhood. What as I say we've got to do is have a Europe that's working hard to cooperate in the areas where we should cooperate, and we need to cooperate, like for example making the single market work effectively in Europe for the benefit of our industry and jobs and consumers, but making it absolutely clear that on things like tax rates that's for individual parliaments of nations to decide." 1.36 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 27th December 2003 12:00
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Reuters ID: LVAEQ58IFEO8E7P1GLQ6YCLBVB84
- Story Text: Tony Blair arrives in Brussels ahead of a two day
European Union summit.
British Prime Minister Tony Blair arrived in
Brussels on Thursday (December 11) evening, ahead of a two
day European Union summit on Friday and Saturday.
Before a dinner with the Italian Prime Minister and
rotating president of the Union, Silvio Berlusconi, he told
journalists he was expecting tough negotiations.
"Europe is becoming a Europe of 25, it's a huge change
for Europe and we've got to make sure that we take the
right decisions for the economy, for security, that aren't
just in the British interests - that's obviously very
important for me - but also make Europe work effectively.
So of course it's going to be a tough negotiation," he said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None