- Title: BULGARIA: INTERNATIONAL FOLKLORE FESTIVAL TAKES PLACE IN VELIKO TARNOVO.
- Date: 26th July 2003
- Summary: (EU) VELIKO TARNOVO, BULGARIA (JULY 19-22, 2003)(REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. THE INDIAN GROUP "PUNJAB CULTURAL COUNCIL" PERFORMS ON THE STREETS OF TARNOVO. 2. A POLICEMAN WITH A POLICE CAR LOOKS AT THE PERFORMERS 3. A WOMAN WAVES FROM A TERRACE 4. THE INDIAN GROUP PERFORMS IN FRONT OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF VELIKO TARNOVO AND THE MAJOR. 5. BULGARIAN ORTHODOX PRIEST LOOKS AT THE INDIAN FOLKLORE WITH A PLEASANT SMILE. 6. PORTUGUESE GROUP "AS SALINEIRAS DE LAVOS" PERFORMS 7. TWO SMALL GIRLS EAT ICE-CREAM WHILE LOOKING AT THE PERFORMERS. 8. RUSSIAN GROUP "SVETEN" FROM TVER PERFORMS 9. TWO SMALL GIRLS WATCH LAUGHING Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 10th August 2003 13:00
- Location: VELIKO TARNOVO, BULGARIA
- Country: Bulgaria
- Reuters ID: LVA6OZB1XBQA55PQ8M10HJU29BTX
- Story Text: Amateur singers from all over the world have been
performing at the the sixth international folklore festival in
The sixth International Folklore Festival in the
Bulgarian city of Veliko Tarnovo opened on July 19 and will
last until July 26.
Eleven folklore groups from countries including Bulgaria,
Greece, Egypt, India, Italy, Columbia, Portugal, Russia,
United States, Croatia and Scotland are taking part in the
The aim of the festival is to develop cultural exchange
between the nations as well as popularising Bulgaria's
Over 180 concerts have been held over the past five years
in 28 towns and 20 villages both in the region and throughout
the country. More than 148 000 viewers attended the festival.
This year over 35 concerts will be held in Veliko Tarnovo
and nearby cities in which participants have the opportunity
to show their countries cultural heritage.
A folklore school for foreigners has been organised where
classes include instructions in Bulgarian national dances and
playing traditional musical instruments. Visits to local
cultural and historic sites in the region are included in the
The festival is said to be one of the biggest
international folklore forums in the Balkans. It is a huge
national event with world fame and a unique atmosphere.
The Veliko Tarnovo International Folklore Festival was
granted the status of a Festival of CIOFF /International
Council of the Organizers of Folklore Festivals and
Traditional Arts at UNESCO/.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None