- Title: CHANA: CHANA WINS SECOND-LEG OF WORLD CUP PRELIMINARIES AGAINST NIGERIA.
- Date: 27th February 1973
- Summary: 1. GTV Beginning of play (Ghana Black Stars attacking, in orange) 0.13 2. GTV Ghana attack again, shot saved by goalie 0.21 3. SV stadium with flags 0.24 4. GTV Ghana attacking Ball goes into penalty area 0.38 5. GV Crowd applauds 0.40 6. GTV Beginning of second half. Nigerian Green Eagles kick off form right to left 0.51 7. GV Crowd applauds 0.53 8. GTV Bllack Stars attacking Bell saved by goalie 1.00 9. SV Injured player 1.01 10. GTV Good run by No. 11 of Ghana 1.10 11. GV Crowd 1.12 12. GTV Centre forward of Black Stars is tripped & fouled by defender & penalty awarded 1.20 13. GV Crowd 1.23 14. GV Penalty being taken & saved by goalie 1.41 15. SV Crowd & scoreboard shoeing nil score (2 shots) 1.46 Initials ESP/0341 ESP/0401 SPORT: SOCCER Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 14th March 1973 12:00
- Location: ACCRA, GHANA
- Country: Ghana
- Reuters ID: LVAAY3QRDLUOR2OWSA96DL5FRRVJ
- Story Text: Ghana drew 0 - 0 with Nigeria in the second leg of their World Soccer Cup qualifying match in Accra, Ghana on Sunday (25 February). But, the Ghana must await official notification that they are thorough to be next round.
In the first-leg match played in Lagos, Nigeria two weeks before, Ghana was leading 3 - 2 when the match was abandoned five minutes before the end because of a crowd riot.
An official ruling by the International Football Federation is still awaited on the result of the first-leg match.
The Ghana Black Stars were playing on their home field in Accra, Sunday, when they began their attack on the Nigerian Green Eagles, in the second-leg of their World Cup preliminaries match.
In the first half, the Ghana team showed the same aggressiveness that had brought them victory over the Nigerians just two weeks before, in Lagos. That game ended in a near riot by Nigerian fans. The Ghanaian team was ready to repeat that win, although all they needed was a draw to go on to the next round of the World Cup competition.
The Nigerian Green Eagles kicked off in the second half.
But, as in the first-half, it was the Ghanaian team that controlled the ball. Even with their continued possession Ghanaian team was unable to score.
Late in the game, a foul on the Black Stars centre-forward gave the Ghanaian team another chance to score.
As with previous efforts to penetrate the Nigerian defence, the Ghanaian effort failed. But even though the match ended in a scoreless draw, the Ghanian team will go on to the next stage of the World Cup Competition because of their earlier defeat of the Nigerian team.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None