- Title: TURKEY: FATIH TERIM TO RETURN AS COACH OF GALATASARAY.
- Date: 7th May 2002
- Summary: ISTANBUL, TURKEY (MAY 07, 2002) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. PRESS CONFERENCE ROOM 2. SOUNDBITE (Turkish) GALATASARAY COACH FATIH TERIM SAYING "As I annuled my contract with AC Milan, from today, we start our new period with Galatasaray." IZMIT, TURKEY (APRIL 28, 2002) (TV 8 - NO INTERNET, ARCHIVE, LIBRARY USE) 3. FORMER GALATASARAY COACH MIRCEA LUCESCU CELEBRATING WINNING THE TURKISH LEAGUE 4. VARIOUS OF GALATASARAY PLAYERS CELEBRATING ISTANBUL, TURKEY (MAY 07, 2002) (REUTERS) 5. PRESS CONFERENCE ROOM 6. SOUNDBITE (Turkish) TERIM SAYING "What we have done so far is going to be the guarantee of our new period. We don't need to name goals in soccer, they are obvious, we will try to achieve those goals. At the same time we will try to be loyal to our chairman's statement about being a world club." ISTANBUL, TURKEY (MAY 10, 2000) (REUTERS) 7. FATIH TERIM CONDUCTING GALATSASARAY TRAINING SESSION BEFORE UEFA CUP FINAL MATCH AGAINST ARSENAL ISTANBUL, TURKEY (MAY 07, 2002) (REUTERS) 8. PRESS CONFERENCE ROOM 9. SOUNDBITE (Turkish) TERIM SAYING "We will support our team with star players as well as integrating young players from the youth teams like we did before, we can achieve our goals with a mixture of top players and skilled young players." ISTANBUL, TURKEY (MAY 18, 2000) (REUTERS) 10. GALATASARAY PLAYER HAKAN SUKUR HOLDING UEFA CUP FOLLOWING THEIR VICTORY OVER ARSENAL 11. TERIM BEING GIVEN A POLICE ESCORT THROUGH THE AIRPORT 12. GALATASARAY TEAM PARADING WITH THE TROPHY ON A BUS Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 22nd May 2002 13:00
- Location: ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Reuters ID: LVA625134PD4JHQI709QD6ZLK5YD
- Story Text: Turkish club Galatasaray have brought back local hero
Fatih Terim as coach after parting with Romanian Mircea
Lucescu, chairman Ozhan Canaydin announced on Tuesday (May 7).
Terim returns after two seasons in Italy, with
Fiorentina and AC Milan, to take charge of the club he
steered to four successive league titles as well the 2000 UEFA
"We have signed a four-year contract with Terim," chairman
Ozhan Canaydin told reporters in Istanbul. "The coach closest
to the hearts of Galatasaray fans has returned to the nest. We
are very happy."
Terim, who has been out of work since Milan sacked him in
November, thanked predecessor Lucescu, abandoned by the
Istanbul club despite two successful European seasons and a
record 15th Turkish league title sealed last weekend.
"I thank Mr. Lucescu for everything he has done. I have a
debt to him as a professional and as a colleague," Terim said.
Lucescu rebuilt Galatasaray after Terim's UEFA Cup-winning
team dispersed and took the side to the second group phase of
the Champions League in both of his two seasons in charge.
He also guided them to their 15th league title last
weekend but has never really been forgiven for allowing arch
rivals Fenerbahce to beat Galatasaray to the title the
Turkish newspapers have linked Lucescu to the vacancy at
Galatasaray's Istanbul rivals Besiktas after German Christoph
Daum stepped down, but there has been no official comment from
club or coach.
Terim said his first signing for Galatasaray would secure
the return to Galatasaray of midfielder Umit Davala from AC
Milan, where he has been on the fringes of the first team.
Davala confirmed on his website that the deal, which Terim
said was a one-year loan, was close.
"I can say that I am leaving Milan for sure and am very
close to my old home Galatasaray," he said on Tuesday.
"The return of my old coach Fatih Terim to Galatasaray has
made me even happier. If I wear the Galatasaray strip next
year I will be very proud to be his player again."
But Terim stressed that he would not have much cash to
spend on new players, despite persistent rumours he wants to
bring Portuguese striker Nuno Gomes to Istanbul from
"It's clear that we won't be spending huge amounts of
money," Terim said.
Galatasaray has long been dogged by reports of financial
trouble and Lucescu on Monday blamed late wage payments for
his side's failure to clinch the league in his first season at
Terim said his priority would be to make the most of the
250 in Galatasaray's youth scheme.
"We will support our team with star players as well as
integrating young players from the youth teams like we did
before, we can achieve our goals with a mixture of top players
and skilled young players," he said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None