- Title: JERUSALEM: FIRST DAY OF HOLY WEEK GETS UNDERWAY
- Date: 5th April 2004
- Summary: (EU) JERUSALEM (APRIL 4, 2004) (REUTERS) 1. SV PALM SUNDAY PROCESSION WITH LV SEPARATION FENCE IN BACKGROUND ZOOM OUT PROCESSION 0.12 2. MV BELIEVERS MARCHING AND CARRYING PALM BRANCHES 0.26 3. CLOSE-UP OF PALM BRANCH BEING CARRIED BY WOMAN 0.30 4. WIDE OF MARCH ALONG VIA DOLOROSA 0.36 5. HAS /LV /MV PEOPLE CARRYING FLAGS 0.55 6. PRIEST LEADING BELIEVERS IN CHANTING 1.07 7. CLOSE-UP OF WOMAN CARRYING PICTURE OF JESUS 1.11 8. WIDE OF BELIEVERS SINGING TOGETHER 1.18 9. SCU PICTURE OF JESUS BESIDE STATUE OF MARY 1.20 10. OLD MAN CARRYING WOODEN CROSS 1.29 11. CROWD WAVING PALMS 1.35 12. LAS SECURITY ON SIDELINES OF MARCH 1.41 13. MORE OF MARCH 1.49 14. VARIOUS OF CROWDS MARCHING TOGETHER 2.04 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 20th April 2004 13:00
- Location: JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Reuters ID: LVABJHPCA947VTEZ82K4LBOS9W4M
- Story Text: The first day of the Holy Week is underway in Jerusalem.
Christian pilgrims have participated in a
procession celebrating Palm Sunday (April 4), the first day
of the Holy Week before Easter. Believers waved palm leaves
as they celebrated the holiday in historic tradition.
But some Christians were barred from participating when
they could not cross the West Bank border into Jerusalem.
Palm Sunday marks Jesus' entry into Jerusalem before his
arrest and crucifixion, when followers strewed palm
branches in his path.
In the Christian calendar, Palm Sunday is the Sunday
before Easter, sixth and last Sunday in Lent, and the first
day of Holy Week.
In the Roman Catholic, and some Protestant, churches,
ceremonies of the day are the blessing and distribution of
crosses made from palm leaves and the recitation of one of
the three synoptic accounts of the Passion.
The faithful will gather in churches all over the
country this morning, waving palm fronds in memory of
Jesus' entry into the city of Jerusalem astride a donkey.
For the last time today, cathedral bells will ring, not
sounding again until Easter Sunday.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None