- Title: IRAQ: US SOLDIERS HELP PUT OUT FIRE IN BAGHDAD MARKETPLACE
- Date: 6th May 2003
- Summary: (U6)BAGHDAD, IRAQ (MAY 6, 2003) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. WIDE OF FIRE BURNING IN OLD MARKET 0.04 2. SLV CHILDREN STANDING BY MARKET STALLS 0.09 3. VARIOUS, FIRE BURNING IN MARKET STALLS (3 SHOTS) 0.24 4. WIDE OF FIRE IN MARKET 0.29 5. SLV PEOPLE RUNNING THROUGH MARKETPLACE AROUND FIRE 0.36 7. VARIOUS OF PEOPLE LOOKING AT FIRE 0.41 8. PAN OF TANK NEAR SCENE 0.44 9. PAN/ SLV PEOPLE TELLING U.S. SOLDIERS ABOUT THE FIRE 0.48 10. SLV YOUNG MAN TRAPPED ON WALL WITH FLAMES NEARBY 0.51 11. VARIOUS, U.S. SOLDIER SAYING, "There's a family in there?", THEN RUNNING TOWARDS FIRE 1.00 12. SMV CHILDREN IN MARKETPLACE, WATCHING 1.02 13. SLV U.S. SOLDIER RUNNING THROUGH FIRE 1.17 14. VARIOUS OF PEOPLE, CHILDREN TRAPPED ON A ROOF BY FIRE. 1.21 15. SLV U.S. SOLDIER RUNNING TOWARD PEOPLE 1.25 16. VARIOUS, PEOPLE HELPING AN (PREVIOUSLY INJURED) MAN AWAY FROM FIRE 1.37 17. VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS CLEARING AREA OF FIRE, TRYING TO RESCUE THE PEOPLE (3 SHOTS) 1.55 18. SLV LOCAL RESIDENTS 2.02 19. SMV (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) UNIDENTIFIED EYEWITNESS SAYING: "Two strangers threw gasoline and lit the fire." 2.15 20. WIDE OF FIRE BURNING IN MARKETPLACE 2.18 21. MV OF FIRE 2.20 22. VARIOUS, IRAQI FIREMEN ARRIVING ON SCENE, SPRAYING FIRE WITH HOSES (4 SHOTS) 2.42 23. VARIOUS OF U.S. SOLDIERS THROWING MUD ON THE FIRE. 2.51 24. VARIOUS, IRAQI PEOPLE TALKING TO SOLDIERS (2 SHOTS) 2.57 25. SMV IRAQI CHILDREN THANKING AND HOLDING HAND OF U.S SOLDIERS 3.06 26. SCU (SOUNDBITE) (English) SERGEANT DANNY BOLST, U.S. ARMY, SAYING: "If they need a fire department, if they need a security guard. Sometimes they even come and see us for babysitters. They come to the American troops for everything. We are the go-to guys." 3.19 27. SLV U.S. SOLDIER WALKING THROUGH MARKETPLACE 3.23 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 21st May 2003 13:00
- Location: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Reuters ID: LVAEDCS7ZVVGYL9RY3DKL5HPZ3N8
- Story Text: U.S. troops acted as firefighters when a fire broke out
in a central Baghdad marketplace, helping rescue at least half
a dozen people who were trapped on nearby rooftops.
U.S. soldiers took on the role of firefighters when a
fire broke out in the old market in central Baghdad and
trapped at least half a dozen people on Tuesday (May 6)
evening. No injuries were reported.
Two U.S. tanks near the market were approached by a throng
of Iraqis who told the soldiers that people were trapped on
U.S. soldiers rushed to the scene and immediately started clearing
debris and an escape route for the trapped Iraqis.
An unidentified woman, who lives near the market said that
she saw two "strange" men throw petrol into the market stall,
then set it alight.
The U.S. soldiers worked feverishly to contain the fire
and create an escape route for those trapped by it.
Twenty minutes later, Iraqi firemen arrived, spraying the fire with
Twelve of 25 firehouses are operational in Baghdad with
572 firefighters currently at work, according to the U.S.
After the people were able to escape the rooftops, the
U.S. soldiers were applauded by Iraqis of all ages as they
walked through the charred marketplace.
Children surrounded the soldiers, shaking their hands and thanking
them for their efforts, which they said were crucial in preventing any
Sergeant Danny Bolst, U.S. Army said that, as the de facto
leaders of the country, they are called upon to handle a wide
variety of situations. Bolst said:
"If they need a fire department, if they need a security
guard. Sometimes they even come and see us for babysitters.
They come to the American troops for everything. We are the
Scores of Baghdad residents near the marketplace thanks
the soldiers for their efforts before they drove off in their
There were no injuries and the reasons for the arson
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None