- Title: SWITZERLAND: POPE JOHN PAUL ARRIVES FOR TWO DAY VISIT TO BERNE
- Date: 5th June 2004
- Summary: (W5) BERNE, SWITZERLAND (JUNE 5, 2004) (REUTERS) 1. SLV POPE ON WHEELED CHAIR ON TARMAC 0.03 2. VARIOUS OF POPE JOHN PAUL GREETED BY PRESIDENT OF THE SWISS CONFEDERATION JOSEPH DEISS 0.25 3. WIDE OF POPE BEING WHEELED TOWARDS AIRPORT ROOM WHERE WELCOMING CEREMONY WILL TAKE PLACE 0.27 4. SLV MEDIA 0.29 5. SLV POPE BEING WHEELED TOWARDS TERMINAL 0.40 6. VARIOUS OF POPE BEING WHEELED INTO TERMINAL/ CARDINALS APPLAUDING 0.50 7. SMV POPE JOHN PAUL AND SWISS PRESIDENT 0.58 8. WIDE OF POPE BEHIND WHITE CURTAIN WHILE PRIVATE MEETING TAKING PLACE 0.59 9. SLV CURTAIN BEING DRAWN BACK AND POPE BEING WHEELED INTO POSITION 1.11 10. SCU SWISS PRESIDENT DEISS 1.16 11. SCU (SOUNDBITE) (French) POPE JOHN PAUL SAYING "The reason for my apostolic pilgrimage is to meet the Swiss Catholic youth on the occasion of their national gathering. The meeting this evening at the Berne Arena will be a party for them and also for me." 1.57 12. VARIOUS POPE AND DIGNITARIES 2.03 13. VARIOUS OF POPE BEING WHEELED OUT OF BUILDING 2.09 14. PAN DOWN FROM SWISS FLAG TO SWISS GUARDS WALKING BY PAPAL VEHICLE 2.17 15. SCU POPE INSIDE CAR 2.23 16. SLV PAPAL VEHICLE 2.27 17. SCU THE POPE INSIDE VEHICLE 2.31 18. VARIOUS OF PAPAL CONVOY LEAVING AIRPORT 2.47 19. VARIOUS OF SECURITY OUTSIDE VIKTORIAHEIM RESIDENCE WHERE POPE WILL BE STAYING 2.53 20. SLV SECURITY AND SNIFFER DOGS CHECKING VEHICLES 2.56 21. SLV NUNS STANDING ON BALCONY OF BUILDING 2.58 22. VARIOUS OF PAPAL CONVOY ARRIVING/ POPE WAVING IN VEHICLE 3.19 23. VARIOUS CATHOLIC YOUTH BEGINNING TO GATHER AT VENUE FOR YOUTH MEETING 3.27 24. SLV CATHOLIC YOUTH WALKING THROUGH SECURITY CHECK 3.32 25. SMV GROUP OF GIRLS SINGING 3.37 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 20th June 2004 13:00
- Location: BERNE, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Reuters ID: LVA7740P20IG3VH6SD45BROH3X0F
- Story Text: Pope John Paul has arrived in Switzerland for a
two-day trip to the city of Berne.
On arriving in Switzerland on Saturday (June 5, 2004),
the 84-year-old ailing pontiff was welcomed by members of the
Swiss government, including the President of the Swiss
Confederation, Joseph Deiss.
Pope John Paul gave his address inside a white tent
before aides wheeled him on a throne to a grey van for the
half-hour journey to Berne.
He read an address in three languages in a relatively
clear voice, in stark contrast to Friday (June 4) when he
struggled to deliver a speech about peace to U.S. President
George W. Bush.
The pope, who has Parkinsons disease, gave his address
at a military airport outside the capital Berne at the
start of a 36-hour trip, his first abroad in six months.
"The reason for my apostolic pilgrimage is to meet the
Swiss Catholic youth on the occasion of their national
gathering. The meeting this evening at the Berne Arena will
be a party for them and also for me," he said.
The pope will spend the weekend in the capital to
preside at a jamboree of 12,000 members of the Catholic
Four Swiss guards, one from each of Switzerland's
four language regions, accompanied him on the visit,
dressed in their famous gold and blue costumes designed by
The visit also involves a light schedule of three main
events and ample time for rest at the Viktoriaheim, a
Catholic-run hospice which will be his base.
On Sunday (June 6) he is due to attend an open-air mass
and meet former Swiss guards, the elite unit which has
protected successive popes since the 16th century.
It was his third visit to Switzerland and his 103rd
foreign trip since his election in 1978.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None