- Title: RUSSIA: FIRST FUNERALS OF VICTIMS OF THE BESLAN SCHOOL SIEGE TAKE PLACE.
- Date: 5th September 2004
- Summary: (W4) BESLAN, NORTH OSSETIA, RUSSIA (SEPTEMBER 5, 2004) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. VARIOUS: OF MOURNERS AT FUNERAL, LOOKING AT OPEN COFFIN OF ELEVEN-YEAR-OLD ALINA HUBETSOVA AND CRYING. (6 SHOTS) 0.47 2. MV: FRAMED PHOTOGRAPH OF ALINA HUBETSOVA BEING PLACED AT END OF OPEN COFFIN. 0.55 3. CU: PICTURE OF ALINA HUBETSOVA. 1.00 (U4) BESLAN, NORTH OSSETIA, RUSSIA (SEPTEMBER 5, 2004) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 4. WS: FUNERAL PROCESSION MARCHING ON HIGHWAY TO CEMETERY. 1.07 5. MV: TRUCK WITH COFFIN, ON HIGHWAY, PROCESSION FOLLOWS. 1.16 6. WS: PALLBEARERS CARRYING COFFIN TO CEMETERY ACCOMPANIED BY MOURNERS. 1.33 7. PAN/WS: HUNDREDS OF MOURNERS STANDING IN CEMETERY. (2 SHOTS) 1.49 8. VARIOUS: OF WOMEN CRYING. (2 SHOTS) 2.08 9. MV: SMALL GIRLS CARRYING FLOWERS TO GRAVE. 2.12 10. MV: WOMEN CRYING OVER OPEN COFFIN OF YOUNG GIRL. 2.23 11. MV: PEOPLE AT CEMETERY/ WS: MEN SHOVELLING DIRT ON GRAVE. 2.39 12. SCU: YOUNG MEN STANDING OVER GRAVE, ONE HOLDING GRAVE MARKER. 2.45 13. MV: PEOPLE LOWERING COFFIN INTO GRAVE. 3.03 14. MV: COFFIN/ WOMEN CRYING. 3.10 15. WS: FUNERAL PROCESSION CARRYING SEVERAL COFFINS INTO GRAVEYARD. 3.20 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 20th September 2004 13:00
- Location: BESLAN, NORTH OSSETIA, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Reuters ID: LVA33ENHVDY4RYPD8CKZ7BPRD9S9
- Story Text: First funerals of victims of school siege tragedy
have taken place in Beslan.
The first mass burials have begun in the southern
town of Beslan as authorities raised the official death
toll from the school hostage crisis to 338 dead, half of
At least 21 people were buried in Beslan within minutes
of one another. The buried were the adults and children who
died at the start of the 53-hour siege. Relatives and
officials took the decision to bury their bodies ahead of
the official two-days of national mourning which begins on
Monday (September 6) because they had been stored longer
than the majority of the victims.
All of the victims are to be buried together in a new
extension of the local cemetery.
Official accounts say forces moved on the school
gymnasium on Friday (September 3) after Chechen separatists
holding 1,000 people hostage started firing on children
fleeing in panic caused by two explosions.
It was the bloodiest end to a hostage crisis in decades.
The entire town of Beslan is in mourning. Grieving
relatives left front doors and windows open, following
traditional local custom. Others pressed on in search of
missing relatives, forced to tour local hospitals in hope,
and morgues in trepidation.
In the first sign of officials taking responsibility
for the bloodbath, the North Ossetia region's Interior
Minister Kazbek Dzantiyev offered his resignation -
although it was not accepted.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None